Weird Cleopatra leaves-pics

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

I been watching my Cleopatra canna grow up..The leaves are totally weird out on me..will post when it blooms for me..

***Pic of the bloom below****

This message was edited Jul 3, 2008 8:05 AM

Meesage--updated pic ..scroll down and see the daughter of this canna I grew from seed..

This message was edited Nov 25, 2008 3:10 PM

Thumbnail by Moodene
Winnsboro, TX

Hey Moodene, the canna leaves on your Cleopatra are what some gardeners wait years for to see. Alot of them will just have small areas of the purplish dark color on them. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. Thanks for sharing the photo with all of us. Very Nice indeed!
Marian

Oh really!! Thanks for the heads up...I will be watching for the blooms now..lol...

That is sooo cool . This is my first year to grow Cleopatra ,mine has a wide stripe down the middle of each leaf . I find the blooms are just as interesting .The yellow polka dot petal on the left is attatched to the same petal as the red/orange .But after the blooms fell off a couple of weeks ago ,and the canna rebloomed the flowers were solid red/orange. Now I go out every day to check it out to see if anything new is going on...lol I can't wait to see what your blooms will look like. So be sure to post some pics.

Thumbnail by flowerpower57
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Some of my Cleopatras had solid Maroon leaves and had mostly red blooms on them with a few yellow streaks in the red blooms.
I have noticed over the past 9 years that if my cleopatra had more green leaves then i had more yellow blooms, if it had more red leaves then it had more red blooms. One of my favorites Cause it is always different.

Pretoria, South Africa

I just love your Cleopatra's leaves. Definitely have to keep my eyes open for a plant....

Hey CricketsGarden , I am going to keep a watch out on the leaves and flowers and see what happens.

If I see any of the stalks or leaves turn all green, I pull it out..lol...it gets potted up and given to a friend of mine who don't care what color cannas are..LOL..

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Cool, colorations on the leaves.

here are pics of the bloom this morning...

Thumbnail by Moodene

Closer pic of the bloom

Thumbnail by Moodene
Pretoria, South Africa

What a stunning red! Congratulations...

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Nice coloration!

O.k. Moodene. Now I find I must have one of those. I love the foliage!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

All these leaves are from one Cleo Canna that I planted last year.

I love the differences.

Thumbnail by morganc

Cool aren't they..well it got a seedpod on it now..mmmm

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I've never grown one from seed. I just leave the rhizome in the ground and they multiply the next year.

How long does it take to grow from seed? AND...are you now assuming that when it does grow all the leaves will look like those? Do the offspring alway duplicate the parent plant?

Pretoria, South Africa

I've grown some cannas from seed. Nick the seed like you would morning glory seed, soak them in water for two to three days, changing the water daily, and then plant them in pots.
It takes about three to four months for them to flower. I have some that I started in April, and they will be ready to go into the garden at the beginning of September. I started them in early winter, keeping them away from any cold / frost, and expect them to flower within a month or two after being planted in the garden.
Cannas do tend to cross pollinate, but I also have some that look like the mother plants.

Please keep me in mind should you have some seeds to share...

Elsa

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I've never KEPT any seed......After the bloom goes down, I deadhead to keep the garden looking pretty. This year I've been cutting the stalk to the ground, and there is always more coming up. Even in the picture you can see where I have already whacked one off.

When would you gather seed?

Pretoria, South Africa

You would have to leave a stalk for the seed to dry. The flowers form seed "capsules" that seem to have little "thorns" on them. They grow nice and fat over some time, and then turn brown. That is when you can harvest the seed.
I have the following cannas should you be interested in seed (will only be towards the end of the year) (unfortunately I don't know their names:
Dark red, orange/red, apricot (with dark leaves), yellow with apricot spots, yellow with red throat, and then from the new plants I will hopefully have the following: white, shell pink, multi colored, and "Tropical Rose".
I can post some pictures if you are interested.

Do post pictures. You may have us all drooling! I seem to be collecting cannas! (Along with the elephant ears and castor beans)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh yes......post some of yours.......and I'll post some of mine.

Here's one called Rosemond Cole from this year.

Thumbnail by morganc

Is that a tall canna or a dwarf?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Dwarf....3 feet.

Pretoria, South Africa

Oh, I just love your Rosemond Cole. Does it form seed? I came across one that looks like "Florence Vaughan" and it ended up being sterile. Quite disappointing...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37310/

Pretoria, South Africa

Here are some photos...

Thumbnail by Elsa123
Pretoria, South Africa

Thumbnail by Elsa123
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Elsa--why are your pictures coming in so small?

Don't all Cannas have seed?

Pretoria, South Africa

I don't know. For some reason the other photos don't even want to show. Will plug in the other computer and try from there...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is Tropical Sunrise.....Dwarf--3 feet.

Thumbnail by morganc
Pretoria, South Africa

Let me try again...

This one has a dark leave.

Thumbnail by Elsa123
Pretoria, South Africa

The apricot colored one. If I remember correctly this one also has a dark leave.

Thumbnail by Elsa123
Pretoria, South Africa

From a different angle

Thumbnail by Elsa123
Pretoria, South Africa

The orange / red one

Thumbnail by Elsa123
Pretoria, South Africa

Yellow with red throat

Thumbnail by Elsa123
Pretoria, South Africa

Yellow with apricot spots

Thumbnail by Elsa123
Pretoria, South Africa

morganc, I just love your Tropical Sunrise. Beautiful photo as well..

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Elsa, they are so pretty.

How tall is the yellow one with red throat?

Here's my Orange Beauty--tall can get to 6 feet.

Thumbnail by morganc
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The Tropical Sunrise is a prolific bloomer. After deadheading it will bloom again, sometimes twice more from the same stalk.

Highland, IL

Oh my!! ALL of your canna's are just beautiful!! I am a canna and daylily nut!! daylily can stay in ground all year, but I have to dig up y cannas each year. I do not have a large variety or the unique types I saw here!! These are just beautiful! Thanks for posting the pic's!!! I enjoyed them. I'm soooo jealous!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.