CLOSED: help!

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

I am unsure of what to do. I have found the father finch (I think - a red-headed little bird with a finch type beak) dead on my porch. He used to squak at me while the mother would sit on the eggs/babies and I in my rocking chair. The babies are in one of my hanging baskets and the babies are 1-2weeks. I haven't seen the mother in 2 days and they were not responsive when I went to water the basket like usual. I didn't water today, but I'm wondering if I should try to help them? Or let nature take it's course? She must be coming back at night if they're still alive, right? It's been hot here....

I think this may be the wrong forum, but it's the first bird one I've come on and I want to help them if I can...

This message was edited Jun 13, 2008 9:15 PM

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I am not really sure on what you should do Jenks....You might try going to the Birdwatching forum and post this . It will be seen by more people there. This is the Bird Identification Forum.

It is probably a House Finch...you will probably have to let nature take it's course. I am so sorry!

Here is link to the BW Forum http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/birdwatching/all/

Yes I am afraid to interfere in case the mother is too afraid now to show herself but is still caring for them. I didn't see her this morning. Usually she flies out when I pull around the house to leave or walk out the front door.

Good news! I peeked in the basket this morning and came nose to beak with mama! She's taking care of them. I can sleep.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

That is great news, so glad that it turnred out well!

:D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.