What's wrong with my Liriodendron tulipifera 'Mediopictum'?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Was checking out the garden today and noticed some blotching on this tree. I'm thinking some kind of deficiency but no clue as to what. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Close up...

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm thinking manganese deficiency. I have it here on a cornus florida. It mimics, initially anyway, iron chlorosis. The other possibiity is potassium deficiency in the early stages.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

I agree with snapple. probably manganese, possibly some other difficiency though. Here, I wouldn't be able to get a fertilizer that's heavy on that, I would have to buy one that simply has it in it. Maybe it's available where you're at?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Found one source. It might be a better idea to spend the money on a soil test first. Your local Cooperative Extension Office can provide that service for you, usually at a minimal cost. Better than guessing and might provide some really interesting results. This deficiency is supposed to be more prevalant in soils with a pH above 6.5, with high phosphorus or with poor drainage.

http://www.groworganic.com/item_F1676_Manganese_Sulfate_Tecmangam_Powd.html?welcome=T&theses=2985726

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks much. I think I have the "poor drainage" problem....

ugh....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.