Perennial garden photos 2008, Part 2

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Okay, here is the new thread for our perennial garden photos. The last one was getting too long. Keep those photos coming. ;o)

Here is where we came from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/855385/#new

Here is my backyard garden today. It's just getting started so there's not too much blooming yet. But it will get better as things start to pop. ;o)

Sherry

This message was edited Jun 13, 2008 4:22 PM

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Renfrew, PA(Zone 5a)

Oh, I love that weeping thing..is it hemlock? It is perfect! Gives such a nice frame for the pretty things below it.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi all - loved all the garden shots that has been posted in the last thread. It is so neat seeing everyone's gardens. Here is a photo of my front yard from April. One of my favorites is the pink flowering dogwood.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

View of a slightly different part of the front garden

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

And what the garden looks like now.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Gazania_in_pa,
Thanks! It's a Weeping Atlantic Cedar. There will be a lot more blooming in this bed very soon. Kinda drab at the moment.

soilsandup,
Just beautiful! Love the way everything is laid out. That's why I enjoy seeing shots of the whole garden. Helps to get ideas on what looks good together. Great job! What are the beautiful purple flowers in the middle of your 3rd photo? Also, I like your edging. Is that the concrete curbing? I have the same thing, but yours looks stamped and has a very nice color on it.

Here's another garden bed I have in my front yard. Now the lilies and daylilies are staring to bloom, along with some of this and that.

Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here's one of my clematis.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

And another bed in the front yard with roses.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

This is my main garden, flowers and fruit on the outside veggies and herbs on the inside.
Or at least that is how it is suppose to be , one of my raised beds is full of perennials waiting for a permanent home.I need to work on that or we will be short on beans this year.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Sherry - the purplish blue flowers in the middle of the third photo is a Stokesia, the lighter color one to the left of it is a peach color Stokesia. A few pink calla lilies is growing among them. The pink flowers to the right is a lavatera. The edging is actual bricks. I don't know if you can tell in the photo, but the house is a brick house, and the original builder used bricks everywhere. Your lilies are lovely. When they bloom, you are going to have a riot of color out there.

Renfrew, PA(Zone 5a)

Sherrry, here is a closer view of the tall purple flowers that you asked about. Nepeta 'Walkers Low'. It does take up quite a bit of space. One plant fills a good 3 foot area as it kinda sprawles out from it's 1 foot root area.

Thumbnail by Gazania_in_pa
Tomah, WI

Soils-your gardens are beautiful. Love the dogwood and stokesia.
Sherry- your rose border is absolutely stunning. You sure know how to grow em.
Gardengus-love that charming garden. That picket fence really is too cute!
Gazania- That catmint sure is gorgeous. Don't have the space for it though.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 5a)

Gazania, I had been thinking about getting catmint and now I have officially decided. I will go take some pictures of my sparse flower beds and dream of what will happen in a few years :)

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

This is not from my garden,but I wish my catmint flowered like this one.
Wondering if it likes the hot dry,it is planted behind the mall ,all rocks and parking lot.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

SherryGirl, there's no Weeping Atlantic Cedar in Plant Files? Do you have another name, or maybe you need to add it. ;-)

I echo those who loved gardengus's picket fence. What is it about a picket fence anyway? I think one could have a lousy garden, (gg doesn't!), and it would all be okay if there was a picket fence.

I couldn't help but notice that soilsandup has WAY more color going on than we have here! Those pictures are gorgeous!

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

McGlory, Maybe this link will help. ;o)

http://www.gardenpartyradio.com/wp-pow/?p=88
Sherry

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh, that helped! Also found it in PF. They must be hardier than PF and your link says? I see you're in Zone 5b...

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Lest I realize two days from now I hijacked this thread, let me add a pic of my brand new perennial bed. It's okay, you can laugh. This should make you all feel good about your beautiful gardens.

Here a plant...there a plant...everywhere a plant-plant. (Giggle)

Thumbnail by McGlory
Tomah, WI

Lori, Looks like neither of us made the RU. I'll bet you'd have gotten plenty of plants there. You sell yourself short. Your bed looks wonderful for being pretty new. Becky

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is one of my memorial rock gardens just starting. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is the second one.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Wonderful job, dragonfly! I admire those of you who can do a rock garden and make it look right like that.

Bless you, Becky. We will meet in person sometime if you have to come clear down here to do it! I've been eating a piece of chocolate every time I thought of the RU folks today.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thankyou McGlory, I will be glad when all the flowers that I planted in them are blooming. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Dragonfly.... beautiful gardens. Very nicely done.

GayLynn

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thankyou GayLynn, here is more garden. I have 11 seperate areas.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

11 separate areas? That's awesome! I'm only up to four.

Since you didn't laugh, I'll post a couple more photos. This is another first-year bed with teeny tiny spaced-out plants.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

This one is in it's third year. See why I envied you guys and your color? Not much happening here right now.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

One more of lilies and red hot pokers. I do love the kniphofia.

Now you folks post more so I have something to aspire to.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Tomah, WI

Dragonfly- your memory gardens are sooo sweet!

Lori- you have some very nice looking roses! Never had any luck with them. Bare sticks for me, they loose all their leaves to blackspot.

Renfrew, PA(Zone 5a)

Sherry, your plantings are envious. I love that edging. The roses I really envy..I have failed at roses several times.

McGlory, your plantings won't look sparse for long. You have done a great job with your spacing. I didn't have the patience (or forsight) so after 3 years in a couple of my beds, I am needing to do some thinning.

gardengus, I have been pleading for a picket fence like that. It would look lovely as a back drop for another mixed bed that I "need" to hide the compost pile.

dragonfly...I love , love the memory gardens. I need to make myself one for my daughter that I lost 2 years ago. When I do that, poor DH will have 17 areas to edge around.

Yes, folks 17, but that includes the 5 trees that stand alone. To explain, I am gardening on just 3/4 acre. I have a progressive muscle disease, so do very little walking. All of my plantings except the foundation plantings are island beds that are small enough that I can tend them for my scooter. Well I should say all of the beds except 2 round ones at 20' and 16 '. These were DH's idea, so he helps with these.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

What a delight to find this thread. Seeing the whole is so helpful and inspirational.

Comments on a few posters for a start.

Sherrygirl, I remember being in awe last year upon seeing your work. I do "weep" with envy.
Tammy, I feel a bond with anyone growing a shrub border. I went on a viburnum rampage this spring. Not the first, but it will be a long time before they mature.
Gazania_in_pa, love your colors and the lusciousness of your beds.

My big project was the addition of an "endless stream" this year. I dug it in Oct and Nov. Here is the falls end.

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is the other end with two new Jmaples and all kinds of new woodland plants. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

All you folks, just beautiful pictures and beautiful gardens.....love this time of year.......

Paul from Alabama

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Piics are all very nice. Always wanted to make a stream but never did. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Paul from AL. I liked your old rose too on that nice iron fence.

Here is a part of the mixed border on the south side of the house. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is the a picture looking the other way. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Looking east from the house through the herb beds. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

North side of the house looking west. My pride and joy is the scrub oak that was transplanted as a 2' baby from the woods in 1983 that I have shaped over the years. We have dozens on the property, but it was the only one I ever moved. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

11 seperate areas..... (Sigh) 17 seperate areas...... (Sigh). I would love a couple more gardens. I have 2 now. DH and just put one of them in this spring. Beautiful, beautiful gardens here. I really enjoy looking at the pictures of all of them.

GayLynn

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Patti, them irises are mighty tall and mighty pretty too

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.