Anybody else growing Salt-wort "Land Seaweed"?

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Any recipe suggestions other than sushi (which I don't eat)?

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I just received some Okahijiki from my CSA and was wondering the same thing.

I came here to ask the same question.

Overall, the most common way to cook seems to be to blanch, followed by a cold water bath, or to steam and then serve with mustard or oil and vinegar. A friend suggested that I marinate the leaves in rice vinegar and salt and then use it as a side -- he said it is good with fish.

I also found the following at:

http://www.henrysfarm.com/cgi-bin/mail.cgi/archive/FFN/20070629024527/

FOOD NOTES (2) : OKA-HIJIKI

Hijiki is a relatively uncommon type of seaweed found on the rocky coastlines of Japan, Korea, and China. Even more uncommon than hijiki is oka-hijiki, “hill hijiki,” also known as “seaweed on land.” Oka-hijiki (Salsola komarovii) is closely related to Barba di Frate (monk’s beard) or Agretti (Salsola soda). Barba di Frate is said to have become the latest trendy vegetable in fancy Italian restaurants, mainly in Rome and Umbria. It looks like grass, if grass were not dry and flat, but succulent tubes.

And just when you think we’ve traveled clear across the great oceans, to Japan one way and Italy the other, we come right back home to find that the Salsola genus (which also contains tumbleweed) is within the family Amaranthaceae, our unwithering friend.

Like amaranth broad leaves, oka hijiki’s green stick-like leaves are loaded with vitamin A, iron and calcium. It is usually sold in Japanese markets in very small packets, where it is used in sushi, or as a garnish. I have not yet had the opportunity to cook with it, but here are some ideas gleaned from our modern day oracle, the internet:

· The tartness, saltiness, and texture find a natural home in sushi.

In Japan, okahijiki is used mostly in dressed salads (aemono) and vinegared salads (sunomono), it is especially good in a shira-ae dressing. To prepare okahijiki for the salads, trim off the hard ends then blanch in salted water for a minute or so, and refresh in an ice bath.
Steam for a few minutes and serve with mustard or oil and vinegar.
· Boil 3-4 minutes, then dress with extra-virgin olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper

· Use fresh in salads

Oka-Hijiki Salad

1/2 cup Hijiki

1/3 cup grated carrots

1 tsp white sesame seeds

1 tsp black sesame seeds

1 tsp of Sesame oil

2 tsp of Tahini

Juice of 1/2 lemon

Blanch oka-hijiki for 2-3 minutes, then chill in ice water.

Put wok or sauté pan on medium heat. Add sesame oil, then add hijiki and carrots and sesame seeds. Stir fry for 3 minutes then pour into bowl. Add Tahini and Lemon Juice. Serve with brown rice.

Umbrian Frittata with Oka-hijiki
1 bunch okahijiki

1 bunch wild mint

8 eggs

4 cloves garlic

Extra virgin olive oil,

Parmesan cheese, grated

Salt and pepper

Put the oil in a small frying pan with the garlic and cook. Remove and discard the garlic, when golden brown. Saute the barba di frate in the oil for two minutes. Add the eggs which have been lightly beaten with the Parmesan, salt and mint. Stir until it is starting to set. Put into a hot oven until cooked. Turn out on to a platter and serve immediately.

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Great info!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.