ID Needed

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

This one I believe is a Miniature Tall.

Thumbnail by 1913cat
Kingston, WA

Hi :o)
My First Guess "Loreley" classified as BB though..

Kingston, WA

Hi Again :O)...When you post could you give information on bloom height, bloom size and a couple of different photo shots? This could really help for positive ID's.

Regards, Rebecca

Yes, I thought of that. It is approximately 32-36 inches tall, and a late season bloomer, it is still blooming. Bright yellow standards, falls are a deep purple with yellow veining. I though at first it could be Welch's Reward, then I saw Loreley, some are so similar. Thank You

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

ck your measurement from stem to ground (bloom stalk)
that is to tall for MTB or BB, should be under 29 inches

South Hamilton, MA

Welch's Reward should not be over 27" in height. Trouble begins with historics being classified in median classes which were set long after those historics were introduced. some were classified as medians by the Median society classification committee who went over smaller historics and put many in median sets.
Many historic plants are diploid TBs which are quite different from the modern tetraploids. "Historic TB" does well in shows where the stalks are judged against "perfection" for that cultivar. "perfection" is unatainable but it means here "how a good stalk should look". Less problem with the beardless which don't have size specifications. For the garden plants, if you like it = a good iris. Since so many MTBs are diploid, older ones can fit the class, but not all older diploids are MTBs. All this seems perfectly clear to many people but a short stemed plant with a larger flower, for example, doesn't fit MTB. If people can find a copy of "The World of Irises" it may be a help to understanding the different classes.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Loreley
never has been over 30 inches
even when over grown lots of rain to much shade can make them grow out of class but not that tall .
i think you looked at tape wrong it certainly looks like Loreley
but it would be on steroids to be that tall in MO.

LOLO Steroids, that's great. I have that book World of Iris, it's a great book so far, I just have not had the time to get back to it. I will remeasure all of my unknowns when they bloom again and try again for Idenitiy. Most of the ones I have listed someone gave me a few weeks ago, they are mostly Tall Bearded's and quite a few were from and elderly AIS member, and she could not remember them all, I offered to come back in July and help her divide, replant and label the iris, but she wanted to do it herself, God love her !!!!! I just thought by a glance someone would know. If the one is in fact Loreley, they are so over crowed, that is on my list of things to do very soon. It was here when we moved in as well as a few others. They all need to be moved and cleaned out. I have one believe it or not that is blooming under the deck in complete shade? Go figure. Thanks Again Guys and Gals

Kingston, WA

Too bad we didn't have CODIS for iris or a recognition data base :o) Pop in a pic (wala) and possible matches show.. Okay I'm just dreaming now...

What a wonderful invention that would be, they can ID us that way why not iris. You should invent it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

They absolutely could identify iris that way --- but it takes an incredible amount of work by a lot of brilliant people to set up a visual id database -- as in fingerprints. On the otherhand, it is a worthy goal for irisarians. That sort of technology is becoming more and more mature.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.