polymer crystal jelly?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi all. I used a new medium in my containers last weekend that contains polymer crystals. We've been having continual rain and now the surface is covered with jelly. Should I remove the jelly? Also have all the crystals now risen to the surface? (kinda defeats the purpose then doesn't it?) I bought 5 big expensive bags of this stuff so I'm wondering if I should return the remaining 4. Thanks in advance. Any advice/thoughts is muchly appreciated.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

they absorb an incredible amount of water. I mean incredible. I don't think they have all risen to the surface. I think I would remove the top if it looks too weird and then make sure the pots didn't get any more water and wait a week or two to see how the plants do. I would try to stick a wick in through the bottom to help drain it. even a rolled up paper towel has worked in my limited wicking experience. I keep wondering if the water absorbing properties will help prevent root rot, or not.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I have found that if you hydrate them first, then just put a few in the soil near the roots, they won't pop up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.