Experience with Heuchera "Miracle" and leaf color

Saint Louis, MO

I have been drooling over this variety on the internet. I found it yesterday at a local nursery in St. Louis. The tag said "Miracle" however the plant was a lime green with some hints of light marroon on the veins. I asked the seller if this was truly "Miracle" and she assured me so. She said that it's a new plant they carry so they don't know if the leaves will turn burgundy with an edging in green or gold as described on the internet.
I went ahead and got it anyway b/c it's the only local nursery that carries it.
Does anyone have experience with Miracle? Will this baby change color in the fall or as it matures? Do you think I really got Miracle?
I am at work today but can send pictures tomorrow.
Rosalie

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I got one a few weeks ago and it was pretty much the color of your new one. However, it's already getting prettier leaves as it gets established. If it ever stops raining I'll get a picture!

Saint Louis, MO

I am glad to hear that. How much sun exposure does your plant have? I wonder if the leaf color is sun exposure dependent. For example in the heuchera forum I saw that some people get better color with midnight rose if she gets afternoon sun.

Ottawa, Canada

Rosalie, you beat me to it! I was going to post the same thing, I saw it this morning in the nursery and was shocked at how different it was. I got mine sight unseen (my Aunt found it at a nursery near her cottage and picked it up for me), and was disappointed when I saw it. I picked it up from my aunt this morning and it is showing some red on the leaves, but no where near the pop of the picture.

The tag does say it can take full sun and that the color gets better as it matures, so I might try it in more sun. It will be one that I enjoy watching if it does go as red as it shows.

Saint Louis, MO

Thanks for the advice bj601. I think I am going to plant it in a border that gets quite a bit of afternoon sun. Maybe we should take picture to track its progress. (I wish they would mention something about the leaf color on the plant tag)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I got some baby ones in a co-op, and they were all green as well. It's good to hear that the color is showing up for other folks as the plants settle in. That gives me hope for mine as they get bigger.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Same thing here - drooled over the pictures of this one! Still chartreuse but descriptions promise it will develop the deep red. FYI, most of these new cultivars (H. villosa) with chartreuse foliage will tolerate sun, preferably morning sun and at least partial shade in the afternoon. The hot afternoon sun will probably scorch the foliage unless you live in a cooler climate. In our area I've found them to be a little finicky - too much sun they scorch, too little they don't hold their bright color but I have high hopes for this one :)

Saint Louis, MO

I put my Miracle in an area that does get some afternoon sun and morning shade. The nursery people here say that they do require some sun for leaf color so we'll see how it does. I planted Tiramisu in the same bed too.

MANSFIELD, AR(Zone 7a)

I was going to ask this question, too! I bought Miracle and Tiramisu in a co-op and thought they had sent me all Tiramisu because they certainly don't look like Miracle pics. Thanks to all of you I will put them in sun and see what happens.

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

Sounds like a few of us were in the same co-op and bought the same thing... *giggle*

Saint Louis, MO

Bummer I missed the coop...
Rosalie

MANSFIELD, AR(Zone 7a)

I believe you are right, Zarebeth!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

truonger, so sorry I never got back and answered your questions. It's been a rough last 10 days. Mine gets several hours of afternoon sun. As for getting you a picture.....after ping pong ball size hail most of my plants are looking pretty sad right now. But hang in there, it will get prettier!

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Whew> I'm glad I saw the original posts before my Miracles arrived. They were [are] a lovely chartreuse with just a hint of lighter edging. I have them in morning sun with a bit of filtered afternoon sun, so I hope they will color up. At the moment, they just have that "I'm a new heuchera and I'm miserable' look. :-)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My Miracle still is as chartreuse as can be. Not a hint of purple.
And it's practically July, for goodness sake.
I'm still waiting for the 'miracle' transformation to occur.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Ottawa, Canada

My Miracle is still in it's pot, waiting for the right spot. It is showing red, some leaves are all red, but the edges aren't showing the chartreuse edge yet. The older leaves are literally ALL red and it is not a nice red, more a sickly red. I'd like to see the 'miracle' too :)

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Any news on the Miracle front? Mine have changed color a bit, but I can't say there is any redness to them.

Parma, OH(Zone 5b)

Mine are still a nice chartreuse color. Healthy plant.

Saint Louis, MO

Mine is still a chartreuse color in zone 5. It's still hot here. What is the temprature in your area bj601?

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

HOLD THE PRESSES! Today, all three Miralces show signs of red coloration! This first pic shows two Miracles and one Southern Comfort. The So. Comfort is the REALLY colored one. (Also considerably bigger, though all were planted together.)

Thumbnail by sissystars
Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

The other little Miracle. Admittedly, not a lot of color, but at least there is some sign of pinishness to it!

Thumbnail by sissystars
Saint Louis, MO

Can't wait for mine to turn color too.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

(Guess I meant 'pinkishness')
Do you think a slight cooling in the weather could be responisble? I imagine it is hotter where you are, and we have just had several days of cooler weather (still no rain, though).

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i lost all my miracle hech's that i bought this spring, so i got 3 more in late summer and planted in a new spot-so far so good! fingers crossed they live, then we will see how they do!! ;)

Saint Louis, MO

YEs sissystars I am beginning to think that cooler temp would bring on the "miracle" just like leaves on trees turn red in the fall. But the "miracle " art of this plant is that it should retain a green edge on the leave. We shall see...

Ottawa, Canada

truongr, our weather has been pretty up and down with mainly ALOT of rain. Our daytime temps have hovered around 77-80 degrees (with a few days of humidity thrown in) and this week our night temps are down to 55!

I haven't paid as close attention to Miracle, I have been helping my sister move. I ran out and checked it today and most of the sickly red color I had mentioned has died off and it is a nice uniform green color! So far, it is not showing any sign of a miracle LOL.

Brenda

Parma, OH(Zone 5b)

Perhaps it has been "Mis-Named?" LOL

Saint Louis, MO

We've had a cold canadian front going through the area for the past few days. It feels like california weather: no humidity, mid 80's during the day and perhaps 60's at night . Unbelievable for august in st .louis. I just checked on mine yesterday and it looks healthier with the cooler weather but no sign of red yet.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

truongr - We have been getting the same weather. I bought 5 one year Miracle and potted them up individually. They have really grown and just within the last few days a couple are showing signs of red. Prior, we had upper 80's and not much humidity but then went to 90's and high humidity. Then, we had a horrendous storm that blew through with microbursts downing trees etc. that brought in the cool weather as you describe. It seems when that front blew through, that is when I began to get signs of red on them. So, is it coincidence or did the weather change and being later in the season produce the color change? I'm leaning to the cooler nights and later season...

Saint Louis, MO

Mine still looks the same green, maybe because I am further south than you.
Can't wait though...

Mine are still the same color... chartreuse. A lovely color to be sure, but certainly not like the photo. I guess time will tell. They are indistinguishable from the Tiramisu I got at the same co-op *sigh*

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Zarebeth - Is a picture possible? I'd love to see it. Can you post both?

The dark green ones at the top (the big ones) are Dale's Strain, the little green ones on the right are Tiramisu, and the the little green ones on the left are Miracle, I believe. This was taken earlier today, before I saw you asking for photos. I am out of town tomorrow but home Saturday and will try to get a better comparison photo. BTW - I got Dale's Strain from the same place!

Thumbnail by Zarebeth
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Zarebeth- That Dale's Strain is VERY pretty. I've never seen or heard of that one before, is that a newer one? I googled it and the picture I saw had deep reddish brown in it too - has yours turned this color? I think Minnesota has even been getting the warmer weather than we have, is that true - which is maybe why ours are changing and not yours yet? Thanks for posting the pictures.

Have you all seen the Heuchera swap posting? Some of us are joining a swap to occur in mid-September. We should be able to get a couple of Heuchera we've been wanting in this swap. If you are interested, check out the post in the Heuchera forum.

SWEET! I am going there to sign up now... and yeah, it has been pretty warm here. I will try to get some better photos of the heucheras when I get back from out of town. Those are waiting to be planted this fall... right now they are in Cowpots along with most of my other co-op babies.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Zarebeth - Thanks for more pictures. And, glad you're going to sign up for the swap. Tell all your Heuchera-loving friends about it, the more the merrier! Looks like I may have to add Dale's Strain to my "want" list! hahaha!

I haven't been able to take advantage of any co-ops yet. I didn't sign up w/DG until May or so and it took me awhile to navigate things. By the time I discovered them, most of them were closed. Oh well, more will come up.

Saint Louis, MO

This is my miracle . Photo taken a few days ago.

Thumbnail by truongr
Ottawa, Canada

Ok, went out last night with the camera. Here is my miracle.

Thumbnail by bj601
Saint Louis, MO

Cool. It DOES look likes it wants to turn color. Keep us posted.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

bj: I can almost see a bit of pink coming through in the upper leaves (unless I'm having a smpathetic hallucination).

We were away for a week and came back to horribly dry gardens and a dried up pond. However, the Miracles have more leaves and more redness than when I left. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.