This morning's visitors

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

Due to the lovely weather, I decided to work outside today. Of course I wasn't the only one enjoying the backyard:

Common Gartner Snake: seen moving in the grass. I guess it is now a regular as this is the second time I've seen it this week. I wonder what it's eating.

Hummingbirds: at the feeder. I know there were at least two of them because when they'd show up at the same time they'd start fighting.

Cedar Waxwings: eating berries on serviceberry. They'd sometimes have a hard time reaching the berries, which was fun to watch. And then to eat they'd move their heads back and forth to break the berry free, and then eat the berry in one gulp (see below picture).

White Admiral Butterfly: saw several flying by. at least one stopped to rest (on one of the boulders, and on hosta leaf) and even drink some water from the pond.

This doesn't count the usual birds visiting the feeders. I guess now the hummers are regulars, too. It is such a delight to catch them as they aren't here very long and if you blink you'll miss them!

Thumbnail by evie_beevie

Here's a picture of the butterfly drinking in the pondless pond.

Thumbnail by evie_beevie

This is the snake, though this picture was taken the other day (and this time he was heading to the front yard).

Thumbnail by evie_beevie

Here's another waxwing

Thumbnail by evie_beevie
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pretty butterfly, could do without the snake.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Just going over threads I have missed

Great shots of the cedar waxwing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.