Lost the name of this one!

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I think it might have been a "bonus" in my order of Best Bet.

Does anybody recognise it?

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Gee, I have no idea, but it is very pretty. I like the color combinations. It reminds me some I have ordered but it isn't the same. I will watch this thread to see if anyone can identify it!

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Wow! I love it!!

Grrr!!! It just bugs me to have something I don't know the name of!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

star ship enterprise ?

South Hamilton, MA

St. Ship E has a large white zone around the beards--not that one.

i cant remember it died before it bloomed ^_^

†his looks like it's in shade, but similar
http://www.yarrabee.net/images/Colours/Brown/Choc%20Vanilla.JPG

Philadelphia, PA

Fall Fiesta ???

That's got to be it!
http://www.walking-p-bar.com/shopsite/product1119.html

nope
fall fiesta has orange beard and hers has yellow beard and gold wire edge on
standards

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Can you send this picture to the grower who gave it to you as a bonus for identification? That might work.

It came from Schreiner's, I think

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I bet they would identify it or you might be able to do so if you keep the old catalogs, which I do just for that reason, but the Fall Fiesta picture sure looks like it.

It does look like it!

The colors are a little more complex in the beard on mine.

Thanks to everyone that responded and sent me in the right direction!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The colors are more complex in the falls on yours and the beards on yours are yellow, not orange. I bet Schreiners' will know what it is.

Detroit, MI

I hope you can find out, IMO sometimes growers give bonus irises that are seedlings not good enough for production. I know i've heard this from a few people. I'm really strict and like to know what I grow so unlabeled bonus irises usually go into a neighbor or relatives garden.

Raleigh, NC

have never heard of Schreiners EVER giving out anything as a bonus that was not their own introduction. It is vastly NOT to their advantage to do so. Their reputation for only superior product is why they can charge the prices they do.

Coeur D Alene, ID

It's beautiful but I don't know what it is. I have about 10 different kinds in my yard. This is the first season since I moved into my house and I have'nt weeded because there are way too many strange looking plants. I will be asking everyone for help in identifying everything. How lucky I am to be on this site!

Lebanon, OR

plus all the labor they hire as it is over 100 employees....

D

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have always received a named varieties as bonuses from Schreiner's. They always attach the name to it and the iris has come out to be just that.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Schreiners composts their unwanted seedlings... As D implies, they are a HUGE operation. I suggest emailing the photo to them.

Lebanon, OR

If any of you have ever seen Schreiners, Mid America, Keith Keppels or now my own you would know un named seedlings are composted. In the case of Schreiners most of their composted stuff is chopped and used as sileage...does not hurt animals and helps the enivorment.

D

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Dee. I didn't know that about the silage. That is a very good idea.

Lebanon, OR

I had not until I spoke with Dave and Ray about the mass amount that they have to compost and what can we do as smaller growers to help elimate waste.

It is very interesting too as they also have like a mower for destalking and that too goes into sileage. COOL! less to landfill

D

Raleigh, NC

Beth, Joanie & jpride - I believe you will find members of the American Iris Society will not sell unintroduced seedlings. It undermines the society's goals and it's not good business. Bonuses have come to be expected. But really they are a way to say thank you to customers. What does it say if you give them somthing that had no value? If the unintroduced seedling isn't good enough to introduce, it can taint the perception of future hybrid efforts. If they are good enough to introduce, then they are needed for reproduction in preparation to introduce.

Keith Keppel and his partner Phil were telling me this time last year the story of "Who's Your Daddy?" It seems Barry Blyth will not even introduce an iris unless both sides of the parentage are known. One year he had a seedling growing near the compost heap from a bee pod. Everyone begged him to introduce it, but he named it something that lets everyone know he broke his own standard of excellence!

Some one introduced one named
Composted
i am a amature and i destroy what I'm not working with
don't like being on classification at a show and seeing one of my outcast seedling show up with a dear person saying can you tell me this ones name.

They are very pretty, whatever they are! I know they came with a name but it took them 2 years to bloom so I have since forgotten it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

If you get the name, do let us know. I think I would like to have some of that kind.

Raleigh, NC

they surely are a pretty color blend. (and I apologize for getting up on my soapbox!)

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi ByndeweedBeth,
I don't know anything to help you out here. I just wanted to say that your iris is a beautiful one and I sure hope that you do find out what it is so you can tell all of us.
I would certainly be interested in getting it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

For some reason this identification has been driving me crazy. So today, I took out my Schreiner's Catalog for 2006, which is approximately the year you would have ordered the mystery iris. I looked through it and found Fall Fiesta to look just like yours with the flecks of red in the falls and all. I also checked Plant Files and there were many pictures of Fall Fiesta, but none of them had flecks of red. Other than that some had sort of a red wash in the falls. I think what you have, actually is, Fall Fiesta. Do you still have your 2006 catalog from Schreiners? Not to worry, it is still in the 2008 catalog. Maybe you can get your hands on one of those.

I don't have the catalog but maybe it is online. I'll look!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.