Longest bloomers

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

I have a few Iris that have been given to me over the years, but really don't know much about them. I love the taller ones. Are they the bearded Iris? Also is there a certain type of Iris that blooms longer than others? What is the average bloom time for an Iris? I've never really stopped to notice how long mine have bloomed. I've seen some very pretty Iris lately and that has spurred an interest in them.

I'm trying to do some homework before I order some for the fall. Does anyone know of the least expensive yet good quality Iris supplier on the internet? DM

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

My all time favorite for consistent long lasting blooms is siberian iris Caesar's Brother.

The co ops offer good value.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Dorie is haveing a coop right now there only $2 each
Gloria

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Caesars brother is very pretty.

What is an iris co op?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love Caesar's Brother, but I haven't done very well with Siberians here in New Mexico. I will just have to enjoy the pictures, I guess.

South Hamilton, MA

In MT I would suggest getting your plants in mid to late summer. Fall planting might not give them time to settle in. When is your first frost?

South Hamilton, MA

Parjaritomt--remember that siberians & JI like acid soil. We can't do spurias very well as our summers are too wet, although you wouldn't know that now as watering restrictions have just started. We use soaker hose which uses less water.

Parjaritomt have you tried coffee grounds as a top dressing on your iris? I save the grounds until I get a small cool whip tub full then I sprinkle them on the ground around the clump.

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

irisMA: Our last frost is around beginning of Oct. I agree about planting sooner.

mittsy: Do iris like acid is that why you use coffee grounds? Dm

Yes they prefer acidic soil. I try to garden organically. I don't like to use anything on my property that could be harmful to a pond or a lake as our rain runoff ends up there.

South Hamilton, MA

Bearded irises are fine in neutral soil & in case of arils & arilbreds add lime.

Raleigh, NC

I read somewhere bearded irises like a soil pH of 7 but are can survive in ph6 - ph 8, but don't know where I read that. we have soil that azaleas and camellias like, so I have to add lots of lime every year to reduce acidity. Heard somewhere beardless irises like a more acidic soil than bearded.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

irisMA,
I put coffee grounds on Hydrangeas and my one Louisiana Iris. I probably should have put some on my Siberians before they died. Too late now, but maybe I will try again some day. I will probably have to start visiting Starbucks to get any more coffee grounds. Two adults can only drink so much!

Raleigh, NC

paja - or you can do what LavinaMae did for me - find a friend whose office has a coffee service or coffee pot. take them a wastebin lined in plastic, and ask them to dump there. Then volunteer to pick up the waste once a week, and take a clean liner with you to replace the old one. (I reused mine to create compost.)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good idea. I will try to think of such an office.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.