What do you think of this idea?

(Bre) Sellersville, PA(Zone 7a)

I am thinking about turning my deck into a greenhouse for the winter.
It would be temporary - I would take it down in the spring when temps got warmer...
I was thinking about putting in temporary posts and attaching plastic to them... I would find something to cover the deck so the cold air would not come in threw the decking... use a heater if needed and also vent if need be.
Has anyone ever done this?
Do you think it would work?

We dont use the deck at all in winter - and I would be able to walk out from my mud room right into it...
Thanks for your opinion!
bre

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

What sort of plastic were you thinking of? I had a covered patio at my old house and I stapled the thin flexible greenhouse plastic to it for the winter before I had a real greenhouse. It worked fine for me since I was in zone 9b at the time and all I really needed was to keep the frost off the tropicals, but it didn't hold up very well to wind and there's no way with your winters that you'd be able to keep it warm enough without spending a fortune. In a climate like yours you really need twinwall polycarbonate (plus a heater) and that would take a lot more effort to build/take down.

(Bre) Sellersville, PA(Zone 7a)

Im not really to sure. I have been looking online for what to use and have seen alot of options as far as thick, uv-filtered greenhouse types. It does get really cold here so I'd imaging I would have to use either somethinig really thick or doubled up...
I would prob be a pain in the butt to take down but if it turns out like what I am thinking I think it might be worth it just to be able to garden in the cold, dreary winter ^_^
Thanks for your advice!
bre

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

What are you thinking of using to cover the floor? (Thinking possible heater problems, here.)

If you use double plastic, it's best to leave an airspace between the two sheets, imo.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Just had another thought which you'll need to consider--decks have room for cold air under them which will make your heating costs a lot higher than if you had a greenhouse on the ground instead. My GH is on a deck and I'm sure it increases my heating costs a lot because it's not sitting on the ground. Since I'm in zone 9 I'm still able to easily keep things warm enough. But in your zone it's definitely going to increase your heating challenge unless you have a way to insulate the floor (just a covering to prevent drafts is most likely not going to be enough)

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

whatever you do - keep the snow weight in mind. our daughter lives in Carbondale and to me it snows all the time...and then snows some more.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.