CLOSED: Kingbird ... But what type?

Las Cruces, NM

I'm having a bit of a problem narrowing down what type of kingbird this is.

Both Western and Cassin's Kingbirds are native to my Southern New Mexico area; but they're both supposed to have a more dull yellow belly.

As for the Couch's Kingbird, which does have a bright yellow belly, its range isn't supposed to extend this far north or west; and it isn't supposed to have any white tail feathers.

I'm hoping that one of you bird experts can tell me for sure what this one is.

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Las Cruces, NM

Just for comparison, this is what I believe is a Western Kingbird.

Thumbnail by NM_Jane

Hi Jane :-) How are you?
The white tail edges and paler gray breast make me say Western. I have seen the Western males here with pretty bright deep yellow bellies.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I'm having a bit of a problem narrowing down what type of kingbird this is

Ditto to Western, on the white sides to the tail and pale throat; Cassin's doesn't have white sides, but does have a narrow white tip, and also a darker grey throat and upper breast.
Quoting:
Just for comparison, this is what I believe is a Western Kingbird

Ooops! That one Say's Phoebe ;-)

Resin

Las Cruces, NM

Thanks sooooo much Angele & Resin.

Angele ... Would you please send a couple of your orioles down my way? I've only seen one so far this year (a Male Scott's).

Resin ... Thanks for the correction on my "Western Kingbird" actually being a Say's Phoebe. I always thought the Say's Phoebe was a bit more plump and rusty colored, like the bird in this photo (sorry it's is not a good photo). Just for clarification ... is this one also a Say's Phoebe, or have I misidentified it too?

Jane

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, that one Say's Phoebe too

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.