Octoberfest

Greenwich, OH

A nice!orange iris.

Thumbnail by skimper
Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

Very pretty!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love Oktoberfest. I have it too, but it didn't bloom this year -- due to the fact that it is still in a flower pot. But I will plant it this year. Another nice orange is Fringe Benefits,

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

i love the oranges my favorite was
Orange Empire
it had a bad tenancy to escape clump and get evolved with other iris near by,
i nick named it side winder

Greenwich, OH

I like most of the orange irises myself.I will have to check out fringe benefits and orange empire.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Another really cool huge orange iris is Cinderella's Coach. I saw it at our most recent iris show. It won the "People's Choice" award where people who came to the show got to vote for their favorite iris.

http://www.colonialhillinn.zoomshare.com/album/Flowers/images/455778e31f65cb5b6095985e90517e7c_11494570340/:album

or

http://longsgardens.com/gallery.php?gazpart=view&gazimage=161

I have already ordered it for myself!

This message was edited Jun 17, 2008 6:11 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

The orange I am in love with is "Voltage", and it is rebloomer for me!

Thumbnail by mrsj
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't have Voltage but have come close to ordering it on more than one occasion! The pictures are wonderful. Rebloom -- we rarely get it here on anything.

Voltage,
is a great orange for hot weather States
no fading or willting

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I got lucky Tazzy! I did not know when I ordered it! It bloomed in April and again last week!

South Hamilton, MA

Voltage not happy in colder weather states.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Cinderella's Coach

Thumbnail by zacattack
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Crackling Caldera - Introduced by Terry Aitken in 2003

Thumbnail by zacattack
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have both Cinderella's Coach and Crackling Caldera on order. They are both outstanding!

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

This is China Dragon and it smells like mango.

Thumbnail by Teresa_in_BC
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

An iris that smells like mango! Wow! I might have to have one. But where will I put it?

have you heard of roof iris ? ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes. They are from Japan. I guess they grow them on the roof. They were selling a variegated one at the Ariltrek ( I think that was it) for a pile of money in an auction. It was very attractive. What do you know about them?

there just JA iris as far as i know they have no land so they garden on roof tops in pots and ponds

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

The iris I know as roof iris are i. tectorum. I know Yul Brynner grew them along the ridge of his thatched home in France. Iris tectorum is hardy to Z5, but i japonica which looks a lot like it is much more tender. I. tectorum comes in blue and white and may have purple striping, and some have variegated leaves. The variegated i. tectorum is rare, and that's why it's so expensive. I have heard some wholesalers have subbed the variegated i. japonica for the variegated i. tectorum, so you need to be careful what you purchase.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I think the person who offered it was a knowledgeable irisarian -- one of the people putting on the trek, so probably it was authentic. It was a fundraiser for the Aril Society International.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I imagine it was, and that's why it was expensive.

They sure are lovely.

South Hamilton, MA

For some reason the blue tectorm seems more hardy than the white--can't think why that would be.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I find that most variagated plants are not as hardy as their non-variagated brothers, but don't know if you mean the less hard white is variagated or not.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

The blue tectorum does seem hardier than the white, and is definitely more vigorous. This is the green leaved variety I'm referring to.

South Hamilton, MA

Polly is right, I was referring to the flowers.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good to know. I don't have techtorum but will go for the blue if I ever do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.