Kousa Gone Wild!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

My Kousa Dogwood has gone crazy this year with blooms. The pic is just one of the lower branches. couldn't get the whole tree in the picture. What trees are blooming in your yard? Love to see some pictures.

Thumbnail by pastime
Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

How many years have you had your Kousa? I planted mine last year, it got hammered by 4 days of very hard freeze (mid-teens) after a few weeks in the 60's to 80's right after it got planted. This year I got three blossoms on a 7 foot tall tree. The tree seems healthy and happy, with tons of foliage and strong new growth. I'm hoping for a better display next year.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

It seems like they have a big bloom every other year. Last year I only had a few. The tree is 10 or 12 years old. It took several years before it bloomed. I was stunned when I first saw it bloom. The flowers are so cute and perky.

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks, that is reassuring. One of the local television stations has several in their parking lot, and they were spectacular a couple weeks ago. However, the plants have not been looked after, and have tons of sucker shoots...makes you want to sneak in there at night with a pair of pruning shears. ;-)

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I'll go with you. Lost my Felco's though, have to borrow one from you.

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

Okay, but my Felco's are left handed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.