slugs and copper

Willis, MI

I have been reading that slugs hate copper and won't cross it. Something that it causes an electrical charge type thing. I don't know! Anyway, I am just wondering if pennies would work? Anyone ever try this?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

What you've heard about copper is true, it gives them an electric shock if they try to cross it. However, I don't think people have had a lot of luck with pennies, I'm not sure if they don't have enough copper in them anymore or if there's some sort of coating that prevents them from working well (either something that was put there on purpose or just a layer of oxidized copper from being constantly handled, etc) So you'd be better off buying some copper tape or something and try that instead.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I have a Lee Valley Catalog that has 2 different copper solutions.
One is 2" wide copper tape at $12.95 for 15' (3+$11.50ea) The other wire mesh by the rolls that resembles the old chore girls comes in 25' ($15.50)& 100' ($43.50) rolls.
I have some scrap copper here and striped a 7' length of several twisted wires then twisted together again. I am going to lace them through my gardens. Snails and slugs are my worst enemies.
I'll let you know how these small strands works.

Willis, MI

Yes, let me know. I haven't tried anything to control slugs yet.

New York, NY

I've had great luck with Slugmagic. I thought for sure it wouldn't work, but the last two years have been much better. I have limited space so it might depend on how much territory you are covering.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.