Bush beans - problems?

Seattle, WA

About 10 of my bush beans have come up. One of them (shown in photo) was very yellowish, and grew much more slowly. I just pulled it up yesterday. Today I noticed that of the rest of the bean plants, the ones most recently sprouted have the darkest leaves; the ones that have been growing the longest are getting paler. (You can compare them to the nasturtium leaves in the photo.)

Is this normal, or sign of a problem?

Thumbnail by Anitra
Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Beans don't require much nitrogen so I would think that you may have a lack of minerals in your soil. Try a liquid fertilizer for quick results followed up with some 10-10-10 fertilizer. You haven't used any weed killer prior have you?

Seattle, WA

No weed killer or anything similar: this garden's all organic. I pulled a good crop of radishes out of that stretch of soil. I added some dry organic fertilizer to the soil before I replanted, and after planting I wet the soil with a blend of seaweed, fish, and liquid 3-3-3 (organic).

Our weather has been cool, however. I thought it had finally warmed enough to plant beans; the soil temperature was 62 degrees. The nighttime temperatures this last week, however, have been between 47 and 49 degrees. I know that temperature can affect how a plant absorbs minerals.

I've moved a few of the beans that came up too close to each other, and I know they have very good root systems. If the cool weather is causing a hitch in their getalong, maybe they'll recover in warmer weather.

If we ever get any. :(

Several of my tomato plants are also showing yellow at the base of newer leaves. Could that be the same problem?

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

That is cold evenings for beans but they can take it. Lets see what happens for now!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.