My Second Seedling, sibling to the first to bloom

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

This is my second seedling from one of my crosses to bloom. It is a sibling to the first, from Country Cavalier X Ida's Magic. It is polychrome with some ruffled edges and a little bit of gold on the edge. I am pleased with it, I hope that you are too!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous! And you're right, its funny how they look so different. Just beautiful!

Yokwe,
Shari

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Another nice one, I wonder what youngest GD is going to name this one? Isn't it amazing how differently the genes arranged themselves, yet the same colors are there. Well done Jeanne they are both beauties!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you! We haven't discussed a name for this one. The other two Grandkids will want to have input I'm sure! Everyone will have to get a turn. LOL!

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

I love it. Very pretty!

Gisborne, New Zealand

Hi Tex, I think your baby's are very sweet, how many more have you got to flower? I saw that this is your first time crossing D lily's but
what about other seeds with a natural X have you tried those. Also can you tell me the colours of each cross. At the moment I have
3 + 1 seedlings in the shade house from 2 old seed pods I found when tidying them up before winter. I thought there would be nothing lost giving them a go and I may also get a nice surprise. I have only about 30 plants and not much room for many more. Crossing some of the ones I have could be a major enterprise going by the number of seeds to a pod. It would be a case of eenie meenie To decide
which plants to grow on etc. Oh the decisions us gardeners have to make. I am looking forward to seeing some more of your
little treaqsures.
Lesley

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone....Thanks!

Leslie, believe it or not one of the parents had a very dominant eye, "Country Cavalier". I'll post pictures of each rather than try to describe the colors.

With thirty DL you could easily come up with 700 seeds, we did. I still have at least another 300-400. We only have 37 more seedlings to bloom. Several dampened off on the last try, and a lot of them rotted or died of rust. It's been very discouraging. I had them in pots in MG potting soil, not in a raised bed.

Here is a picture of Country Cavalier. (It is not one of my own pictures.)

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

The other parent was Ida's Magic. It is a very good parent, fertile both ways. Has produced some very good flowers. Here is it's picture:

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Another picture of Ida's Magic....from a different grower. I don't have a current picture from my garden.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Gisborne, New Zealand

I will keep an eye on your progress. Very nice parents you can see where the yellow centre came from. Flowers of sulpher can help against dampening off. That would be a pain .
Lesley.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

LOVELY!!!! I am slowly getting really hooked on daylillies...which is dangerous for me....and I am anxiously awaiting a big box in trade from a friend. I cant wait to plant them out and see them bloom...and maybe try some crosses.... like I need something else to do in my spare time!!!! Please keep the photos coming!!!!!

Lesley...Gisborne is so beautiful!!! DH and I spent some lovely time there...outby a huge headland which I have forgotten the name of south of the city.... I shall be in your pitch in November visiting friends in Tauranga!!! My annual pilgrimage to gentle life and great food!!!

Carol

Gisborne, New Zealand

Hi there Carol, the place you stayed was possibly Young Nicks Head,and my daughter lives 20mins from
Tauranga. Its a small world. I spend a fair bit of time reading your words of wisdom on tropical zone so
it is nice to meet you in person. I too have a bit of a passion for daylllies and am going to have a go at cross pollinating, just out of curiosity of course. lol.
Tex's flowering progress is interesting especially now we have pics of the parents as well as we usually see the end result only.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Right! Young Nicks Head....that's it! Well, my friends live in Welcome Bay outside of Tauranga...and her daughter works in Te Puke...and we walk the beach at Papamoa and Moloolaba...I have probably walked right past your daughter a couple of times! NZ is devine...I love it!!!

I am inspired! How do you cross pollinate....just like anything else? Special tricks?

Carol

Gisborne, New Zealand

I have been having a look through a couple of NZdaylily nurserys photo galleries,, oh dear me the choices where does one start. Also how does one stop after making a start. I thought I would just jot down a few names then I started putting a tick next to the better ones, as opposed to the good ones I had already noted so then I had to use 2 ticks if it was 'more' nice. If nothing else it filled in a few hours on a
wet afternoon. The prices were from $6-50 to $18-00 and I thought I wanted 12 now perhaps I will just have to settle with reading the names and quietly wishing. Oh and X pollinating what I already have. lol. Have a good day.
Lesley.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Daylilies come in both diploid, and tetraploid. You can only cross dips with dips and tets with tets. You just take the pollen off of one and dab it on the long pistil of the other (pod parent). Be sure to make a1 1/2 tag with string to hang on the pod parent. Mark the name with a permanent marker. Name consists of pod parent first, X the pollen parent, second. Put the date, and then write the "cross" down in a notebook. The next day I cut the spent bloom back leaving about 2 inches. If a pod is going to form it will within a couple of days. Cutting it back helps prevent the wind from blowing the spent bloom off and the pod not forming.

It takes about forty days to eight weeks for the pod to ripen. It will start to turn brown. Be sure to get it before it cracks or you may lose your seeds. You can wrap a cut panty hose around it and tie it with part of the string from the tag. When it is about to crack, you can gently squeeze it to check it, pick it, keeping the tag with the seed pod.

Let the seeds dry well a day or two. Then refrigerate them about three weeks.
Then you can plant them. You can soak them in water first to germinate them and then plant them, or you can plant them directly into soil. We have used styrofoam cups with holes in the bottom for drainage. After the seedlings develop well, then they can be repotted into pots or in the ground. Maintain the parentage on name tags at all times so you know who the parents are.

It is best to raise daylilies in raised beds with good drainage. They do not like wet feet, and if have too much water can rot. When planting do not crowd the soil around the crown of the plant. They like space to breathe.

There is alot of information at the AHS society web site.
http://www.daylilies.org/daylilies.html

Good luck with your daylilies and your crosses!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.