Onions

Ada, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm in zone 7a. I think my first frost date in Oct. 15 or 30. Can someone please tell me when I should plant onions? I planted some sets I bought at Walmart in January in the ground in April (I thought it was too cold to plant them in January. You can tell I'm a newbie.) Now most of them have gone to seed. Is it possible I could plant onions for a fall or spring harvest? I want to grow several varieties from seed. Thank you.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

I'm north of you but I planted my onions in March. I planted onion plants and also some sets. They are forming bulbs now. I think you could still seed some bunching onions but I doubt you would have time to seed more than that. The plants do the best at making bulbs without going to seed I think. I've never tried to grow my own plants and bought these from Dixondale. You would need to get them in the ground as early in spring as the ground can be worked. Dixondale has a good shipping schedule if you look for them in the Garden Watchdog. I had them ship a week earlier than their schedule so I would have them to put in during my spring break.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Additional thoughts.. I had missed pulling some onions last year and surprisingly they overwintered. I'm not sure if you are far enough south for this to be an option or not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.