Buds on many but they are early!?

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm not complaining but think it is very strange that both me and my gardening neighbor have noticed many buds on our coneflowers already. This is quite early for our area. Our normal bloom time is mid to late July. We've had a very cold, long extended spring which overnight has become hot, muggy and very, very rainy (7 days straight now). I would've thought this would delay buds and bloom but I'm obviously wrong. Can any of you experienced growers enlighten me?

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I don't have any botanical insight for you, (I guess you call it that) but I know plants have their own schedules and they change from time to time too...Last year some of my new old cultivars bloomed out first but this year Mango Meadowbrite took off and began blooming first.....I think that's what's interesting about keeping a journal, though I am lax sometimes myself...Good luck and glad your conies are doing so well....

Paul from Alabama

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Paul. I've never kept a journal but now I definitely see the need to write these things down. Plus, the old "mental" journal isn't what it used to be! I hope I can keep them blooming into July

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

No blooms on my coneflowers yet, but they are certainly getting tall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.