Toadstools and fungi

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I don't know about you but I find them fascinating. You get up in the am and there they are! just popped up over night.
Thought I'd get you all looking for them in your garden too! Post pictures here.

Took this Sunday morning, growing near the watergarden.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

These were in the old mulch near the driveway garden.

Just pretend that the weeds are not there, I'll get to pulling them soon. lol

By the time I went in the house got my camera the sun had started to shine on this one and dried it out. But it looks pretty even at that. It is very tiny, on a long slender stem.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Yours look good enough to eat!

Happy I think not, I do prefer my rooms store bought. Just got out of the hospital last week for something intestinal, possible "bug" (viral) in something I ate.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ouch -- sorry to hear that.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I like seeing mushrooms etc too. Another layer of interesting things to see in the yard(nature)
I had never heard of cup fungus, but a few years ago found them in the mulch. Little tiny cups with several seeds in each. Cups like a half inch across.
Fairy rings are neat Saw some huge ones of huge shrooms in New Orleans long tme ago, a City Park.

glad you're home!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Found this strange one yesterday!!

Thumbnail by stormyla

Stormy, That is a strange one, reminds me of a yellow squash.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, Perhaps it did the garden Hanky Panky with one!

We have had a rainy few days, so the toadstools are getting a boost.

This one is a fresh one about the size of a Penny.

Here is one of the above about a day or 2 older.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, These showed up fresh today!

Thumbnail by stormyla

Stomy, nice shot!
There is today's shots of the one from yesterday.

Another someone (Slug ?) took a bite out of it.

And I ran outside when I heard Hubby start up the mower this a.m., I knew the shroom was going to be toast in a short time. Or should I say Mushed shroom. LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, That's one good looking Mushroom. Looks like a little gnome should be living under it!

Thumbnail by stormyla

Ha Chris! ha ha mushed shroom Nice picture
I looked all around- even tho we've had pretty good rain this spring, we just aren't having mushrooms, except the tiny tan ones.

Stormy, has that fungi on the tree grown? I don't think I ever seen it that tiny growing on trees. Nice picture!

Sally, hope you can contribute a picture or 2 soon. Maybe this calls for a walk in the woods!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

No Lady, It hasn't. I'm going to keep an eye on it though to see how far up the tree it's going. I mulched pretty deep around that tree.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

These perennials look like a forest from down here!

Thumbnail by stormyla

Did you lay on your tummy for that one? Nice shot, if I did that I'd never get up, and the neighbors would call 911 for "woman down". That would not be good!!!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Lady! No, They're on a hill and I was lower down the hill and set the camera pretty close to the ground. I can't lay on that hill, It's where the Grounhogs and Voles live!!!!!

We had a walk by a soccer field yesterday and it had some nice big white ones coming up. I stole a big 'button' but now its in the van cooking I guess!
Saw some great orange ones, a whole cluster, out near Frederick in the woods. Good srhooms and fungi in the woods! OK I'll cheat and post from last August.

Thumbnail by sallyg

And...
It was a wet day and didn't get as warm as hoped but we had fun. I love the rocky streams; this is near the stream above Cunningham Falls in Thurmont MD.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, Those are truly awesome fungi. I miss woods walking so much. Can't seem to leave the garden. Guess I'll have to get out and smell the 'shrooms!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

THERE ARE MANY FUNGI THAT CAN BE FOOD BUT REMEMBER THIS JINGLE.

There are old mushroom eaters. There are bold mushroom eaters. There are no old bold mushroom eaters.

The folks that really know them are far and few between. I will not eat an unknown fungi unless I am with a very experienced fungi picker and eater. I really know just three that we picked and ate under the watchfull eyes of our grandparents.

We eat two that regularly appear on our property. I will not name them because someone might pick and use a look-a-like and be on the way to the hospital.

My friend took her toddler to ER once and was told there are no edible wild mushrooms in our area. So I stick with that.

Mushrooms- another reason why I would rather have my dream house in the mountains than at the beach

Don't have to worry about me taste testing. I just eat the ones from the grocery store.
I believe in look but don't touch!

Maryland has many good edible fungi if you find the right expert to show you the way. You also have the geography from seashore to the mountains within which you can find literally all the fungi that grow in the Northeast. I grew up picking mushrooms in the orchards near Hagerstown and on down into West Virginia along route 11 now replaced by 81 as the major North South route. Later we picked in Northern Virginia and the District of Columbia. Fredrick, Md. was the area we liked most. That is how we spent many weekend days when I was a kid clear up through my college and early housekeeping years. Pennsylvania and Maryland's trout fishing seasons were similar. Often we picked along your streams and orchards.

Your lovely park near Erie or part of Erie is loaded with good mushrooms. The park service has programs of ID and walking nature tours that sometimes has a ranger who really knows them. About ten miles West of Erie there is a fishing industry on a small stream. All along that and other streams into the lake are good areas to investigate. Any old apple orchard that has not been nuked with fungicide is a sure place worth investigating.

I use to hike to the Lake many years ago when we had a camper parked off of Rt5. That was an afternoon activity for us. Couldn't do it now. Walking has become hard this last year, I have to stick to sidewalks and flat surfaces. All my pictures are taken in my yard.

We also have a nature center outside of Erie called Asbury Woods they have programs too, don't know about one on mushrooms. Went to an Owl Prowl when daughter as in grade school, they taught we how to call to owls to get them to fly in. We did get one to fly overhead that night, that was a thrill!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I never eat wild mushrooms. I'm simply not that brave. It's wonderful to examine their diverse forms. To me, mushrooms smell like the forest itself.

I've often wondered if animals have some innate mushroom sense. There are ones in my yard that are always left untouched and others that are critter ravished. Maybe that's one of the clues that mushroom gatherers have used in their selection.

Like you........age and health is taking its tole. I love your area in and around Erie. My memory card is ka-put too so the Erie facts are somewhat jumbled. I was hot to trottie on collecting for resale the famous Erie ironware. Twenty years ago that interest and the fact that I was a salesman for a major boiler repair firm Erie was always a fun place to be. My former firm did major restoration on the Erie Hospital boilers on several occasions. That put me in the area for weeks at a time while the work was being done....not to mention all the other smoke stack industry that was still alive and well at that time. The state built a great new office and convention center where I have been to some of the educational programs on Purple Martins. I also have three professional doll doctor friends in that area whom I have run educational programs for in their various doll club meetings. I think I could live there very easily. I love the fish, hunt and nature elements near by. It was never hard for me to book a week's work in Erie.
The huge lakes and swamp lands South of Erie in Pennsylvania was always tempting me but I never had time to get in their and snoop about. OH.......SO MUCH TO SEE AND LEARN AND SO LITTLE TIME has always been an issue. Up to a point I tried to not let my work get in the road of my educational fun. :)

Yes there is an old wives tale..........never eat anything that you have not seen a rabbit eat first...and then I discovered a dead rabbit beside a nice patch of fungi I did not know.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, It's wonderful to see someone who's spent their life persuing their passions.

As a child, I spent all of my time in the woods even during the winter. My brother and his friends would often play there with me, but never any of the girls. I'd spend long days there alone.

Now, I am reluctant to go into the woods by myself, partly due to health reasons and also fear of human predators.

I have a hard time understanding todays children. They'd rather spend their time at home in front of electronic devices and always need to be entertained. There's just no equal to the show that's always playing in the forests!

stormyla- if I ever end up living near you, I'll go to the woods any time you want. Luckily I did have one girlfriend like minded, until I got about thirteen and thought pretending to be american indians was too childish.
One day we packed sandwiches and water-no probably didn't even pack water cuz wayback then you didn't have water bottles everyday- and took off down the stream. Vaguely aware of where it would end up but not at all aware of how long the walk home might be. What fun.
I think you have to pick your woods. Small suburban patches near me now may harbor homeless men.

Doc it is nice up here in spring, summer, and fall, but the winters can be fierce. I grew up in Pittsburgh, lived there for 23 years, when my DH took me to see Lake Erie, I told him "That's no lake it's an ocean, a lake you can see the shore on the other side!"
I know the big swamp you are talking about, it seems to be getting filled in over the years, more trees.
There is a woman on Rt 18 that grows the gourds for the Purple Martin houses, she has a lot hung up in her back yard. A resturant not very far from her has a large pond and gourd Purple Martin houses, you can eat dinner and watch the Martins coming and going.

Toadstools for today are:

A picture of another one.

Picture of the top of the one above.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.