alternative to sweet autumn

Delaware, OH

highly recommended my moi is the herbaceous c. recta when you want coverage, but less height and earlier small white blooms. it is compact, but lush and the blooms start here june 5 in zone 5 b. it is vigorous from the start, but does not climb as high or get out of control like sweet autumn terniflora. blooms all summer. remove old growth in late winter. the photo here was taken today and it has only been blooming a couple of days so is not in full display yet.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
(Zone 4a)

Wow I really like that one!! Very pretty Niobe!

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

I have that one too. I placed it on a metal trellis (I did not have to tie it down). This is the third year for it and it has draped over the trellis about 3 feet, but looks really lush. I do not think it has any fragrance, but it really looks good as a background for other plants.

Delaware, OH

i agree carolmo. mine is in it's third year and nests on the side of an arch and a evergreen. it is about 7 ft this year and thick, lush..big green canes and nice and full at the bottom. i do not know why this clematis does not get more recognition and distribution!!!
also paul farges is an earlier blooming alternative to sweet autumn terniflora. bigger flower, mine has already started blooimng in zone 5b.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.