Ornamental cabbage

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm posting here because I figured growing conditions would be the same as edible cabbage.

I want to take potted ornamental cabbages to farmers market for fall sales but I can never get any size on the 6 pks or 4 inch pots. They get to be about the size of my thumb then stall out on growing.Any help you can give me on growing some healthy size plants will be greatly appreciated.

P

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I assume that you mean flowering cabbage. Here it is a winter ornamental, with transplanting occuring in October. I don't grow it but I would imagine the pattern would be the same as other brassica transplants. The nurseries here seem to have under the same conditions. It likes cool weather. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=flowering+cabbage&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=with&Search=Search

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

it's time to start seeding cabbage here so the cool weather will be hard to come by and I don't have coolers in my greenhouse so possibly this has been the problem.

P

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

What about a shade house with misters on a timer? Or inside the house with flourescent bulbs? I'd like to do fall cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and Romanesco but have the same problem. I usually direct seed in August but a lot of time it doesn't make it to maturity before the hard freeze. I was thinking about doing a cold frame . . . ? I'm 7A but it seems the temperature swings have been more extreme not to mention alternating flood / drought. Looking forward to famine and pestulence (LOL). Can't imagine an air conditioned greenhouse being economical with the cost of energy.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have a light bench. Guess I can squoosh up my african violets tighter so I can get some seed flats on it.

I would dearly love an alpine water cooler in my greenhouse but they cost several thousand and I haven't won the lottery yet....LOL

I have in the passed brought cool weather crops thur the winter under low polytunnels. I plan on doing it again this fall/winter so I can get and early start on farmers market next year.

P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.