Aspargus Harvesting?

Rochester, NY

So I came home one day a week or so ago to find a bag on my front steps with a three Asparagus root crowns and a note from a neighbor saying that he had received them from a friend but had no room for them. He wasn't around so I could not ask any in depth questions about the age of them or anything else. I found some unused real estate in my garden and planted them each in a hole with adequate spacing between them and hoped for the best. Yesterday I find that nice spears are already rocketing out of the ground from all three, I mean these spears look delicious and very healthy. I have some knowledge of how perennials must store energy for the next season and have heard that you should wait a season on asparagus before harvesting. Seeing as I have no background on these plants, what should I do this year?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

With asparagus they say to not harvest for the first year and then sparingly the second year. You might find this article helpful. http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8002.html

Rochester, NY

Thats what I thought, the spears just look so tempting to pick, but I'll leave em this year....Thanks.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

You're welcome! I know how tempting it is to pick them. I planted a new asparagus bed three years ago and this is the first year I've had a big enough harvest to really enjoy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.