Foxglove

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I know that when I planted my Foxglove this year I saw/read that you can/can't cut back the stocks because they will/won't rebloom.
I can't find that information. Does anyone know the answer
It is the foxy named Foxglove if that matters.
Learning more day by day!
Chuck

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is the info that Bluestone perennials gives...
Plant Care
Cut the flowering spike to the base as it finishes and several smaller spikes will appear, extending the bloom time. Leave new fall growth at the base of the plant to overwinter.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW Thanks for that info.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Jen!

West Boylston, MA

Chuck,

The folks at Tower Hill said to leave a stock or two to drop seeds ... I think they said that the next year's plant comes up from seed (not the old stock) and that if you give it a few years they will spread quite a bit.

Nona

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Last year I ordered some annual Foxglove seeds called "Foxy" which were advertised to bloom the first year if started early. I sowed them in February and got lots of seedlings, but they never bloomed.

This year I'm trying some of the "perennial" type, Digitalis mertonensis, but I don't expect blossoms until next year.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

It looks like the foxglove that we have had over-wintered exceptionally well. We were a bit concerned because of the depth of the snows this season. We count ourselves as very fortunate to see such a vibrant plant in our gardens.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.