Has anyone raised a "226" eggplant?

Seattle, WA

My husband favors the small purple eggplants he finds marketed just as "Asian eggplants." The closest thing I could find in a gardening catalog was something just called "F 226" at Johnny's Seeds. I've been nursing one along for months now, waiting for the weather here to turn warm enough to plant it out. I moved it to my hardening-off nook about two weeks ago.

The latest new leaves have started out purple, although one seems to be changing to green as it grows. Is this normal, or is baby too cold out there?

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Eggplants require warm weather. Probably not warm enough yet. What are your temps?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Many of the Asian, especially the Japanese types, have a lot of purple in the vine. Not familiar with Johnny's 226. They do like hot weather to grow, but the leaf color does not usually change much. Typically an eggplant advertised as purple calyx will have purple stems and a purplish cast to the leaves.

Seattle, WA

Tplant, it's definitely not warm enough to put the eggplant out in the garden, but it is in a sheltered spot, where it is growing steadily.

Farmerdill, I finally checked the listing for F 226 at Johnny's Seeds, and it is indeed described as "Purple calyx." Much of the stem is purple, as well as the base of the newer leaves.

So it's a feature, not a bug. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.