Jerusalem Artichokes....need help

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

On a trial basis, I planted some JAs in a HUGE pot with lots of cinders as the medium as we get a lot of rain. The plants grew VERY well, at first, and then started looking horrible...as if they had a terrible fungus...leaves drooping and looking burned. I pulled them up and harvested what I could....

Now...my question is: are they prone to get wilts like tomatoes with a lot of water? Do they need to be VERY dry? I would love to be successful with this plant.

Thanks in advance...

Carol

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Do you have any photos of them with the 'droops'?.
Did the ambient temperature or rainfall levels change much between the time of good growth and the time of their demise?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

HI...will take some photos tomorrow.

I did Round Up 'near' them...but at ground level....and these were growing in a raised pot. Are they especially vulnerable to RU?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

To Much Water and Fertz Paul

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Thanks, Paul...kinda thought that too.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Ya there a wild native plant Related to the sun flower they like poor soil Paul

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Im going to replant them and put them in the Greenhouse where i can monitor the watering.....

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

They should be very happy where I planted mine then! Someone brought some to me after I was done planting, and I had place left in the gardens. So I went to the old border beds, found a spot and plunked them down! I hope they do well. Looks like an interesting plant, and I've heard the roots are yum.

Would love any other info ya'll have!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.