Daylilies

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

I wonder how you all have your daylilies? Are they in seperate beds or in with other plants? Which plants do you pair them with? Do you mix colors together or keep like with like? Which color combinations are your favorites?

Mine are in various places around the garden. Some are in the main flower beds with other plants - some are in borders. I noticed an area where I'd put two different types together looked quite good. I'll post some photos later.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I'm like you. I have two really big beds of daylilies in a big bed with other plants. One on one end and another one on the other end. Then I have a row of about 50 that is by themselves. And then more scattered here and there.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

question is where dont i have daylilies lol my husband is gonna get rid of me if he finds more fresh dirt and a new daylily. i love them planted with hostas and near roses. i even have daylilies in my sunflower patch.

Thumbnail by lovesdaylilies
Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Your name says it all, Lovedaylilies! Planting them with hostas indicates that they are in the shade - are they doing well there?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i have mine all over under pine trees in beds in where ever they fit

Thomson, GA

Everywhere I can find a spot. I have a 100' fence line that I have finally completed with daylilies. I have a few of them in front of the shrubs at the front of the house, along the driveway, around the "bird pole" in the back yard, and in front of the ditch in the front yard. I just bought some at the LA and now I have to figure out where to put them.

Thumbnail by guardians
Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't have any fancy ones, but there were some around the entry fence of my driveway when I moved in. They haven't bloomed again since so I've hit em with some composted manure. If I can I'm going to dig em up and move them off the fence line. I've put some irises and cannas out there too and want to make one big bed on each angle into the gate.... I love daylilies but these are my first!

Albany, GA(Zone 8a)

I have about 15 fans of different varieties planted in front of some sunflowers. Then I had about 40 fans of different varieties come in the mail(I ordered 20 :-) ), they have been put in 1 gal pots for now. I used to bed I had made for them to plant 90 gladiolus bulbs. I figure they should be alright in the pots until I get another bed created. New place, new start this year, you know how it goes.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

I have shoots....I think I may get some blooms (fingers crossed).

I have patches of them all over and added 5 different peach colored ones this year. All live in a fairly small area - I just keep dividing them up when needed. The oranges are blooming their heads off right now, along with some blacks and a nice dark purplish one.

Gorgeous and so rubust this year. The last few years they have had some sort of insect that ruined the whole effect!

GGG

Thomson, GA

GGG, does your dark purplish one look like this? Caribbean Purple Spires, I think it's called. Love it! The plants look pitiful with no rain so I have run a drip irrigation thingy to them now - they were still blooming, though!

Thumbnail by guardians
Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

I have some very similar to that, Guardians - more dark red than purple - and I love them!

Thomson, GA

LOL, my neighbor, (bless her heart) asked DH a few weeks ago what in the world was that pink thing blooming against the house. I couldn't figure out what she was talking about and why she was so impressed. When I asked her, she said she had never seen pink daylilies before. I told her to take a walk or ride the golf car around to the other side of my yard, where I have 100' of pinks, lavenders, purples and all shades in between blooming right now. The one she was so in love with was "Holy Matrimony". Well, 5 years ago I didn't know the difference between a daylily and a hydrangea, LOL, so I guess I can appreciate her wonder if the only daylily she has seen is Stella.

Thumbnail by guardians
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi "Lovesdaylilies" - I'm curious how you are able to succeed with sun loving daylilies and shade loving hostas together here in our hot summers. Do you have some of the new more sun tolerant hostas? Whenever I have seen hostas in sun, they are sad and brown and wilty.

Re: original question. I do both also: have 'nursery beds' of daylilies just because and then use them in designed groupings. I like to pick up the colors of different shaped flowers, like spiky Veronica 'Red Fox', Penstemon 'Red Rocks' and am still searching for the right daylily. Based on decription, I had 'Siloam Double Classic' in that grouping, but it did NOT work with the hot pink V and P.

It's hard tor resist making the whole garden daylilies though. I started my collection when a local grower cleared out some of her beds and offered dozens of varieties for $1 for a double fan. Wowie.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

when we got this house there were hostas in the front and no other landscaping what so ever we began to make flower beds and my husband planted a small hosta on each side of the back deck steps in the sun. i thought well those will never make it....boy was i wrong the hostas are huge and loving the sun they have now been in the sun for 3 years and are thriving i planted the daylily in picture in front of it because i ran out of room elsewhere lol now i love the combo! all of our hostas are in sun and like it except 'blue angel' it sulks and is going to have to be moved to shady area near pond.

here is another daylily of ours 'halloween hocus pocus'

Thumbnail by lovesdaylilies

guardians - I love your orange daylily. What's the name of it? *eyeballing it lol*

rebecca30

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

isn't it pretty! it is a nice large flower too!

Thomson, GA

Thanks for the complements, I wish I knew the name. I thought it was SC Sweetness but when I posted it on plantfiles I discovered it was not. I had bought these handy dandy labels on a coop last year but they didn't work out as I had hoped. I am back to the tried and true P-touch labels. Some I made 3 years ago are still as good as new.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

guardians...i labeled my plants last year with plant markers and wrote on them with permanent marker...that turned out not so permenant : 0 all of my daylilies this year were mixed up! fortunately i had pictures of each one and a description.

kelly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.