Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

one more

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A bit of water on the lens, but good pic

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I rescued the balls from the trunk of the car a few minutes ago. I am leaving them apart for a while to let the chicks root , then I will wire them together to hang.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

If you bring these in, will they survive the winter?
Look so very pretty..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

They would most likely survive by setting the halves separately on a flower bed for the winter

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We put my ball together at our Round Up dinner last night 0- two people holding, two people using cable ties to tie the half baskets together - dont try to do this alone!)

Heres a view of one side.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here is the other side.

I want to add some more peat moss and a few more small H&C along the join area.

I am going to send a pic to the fellow from whom I bought H&C last year (Cavendish Perennials in Ontario) and see what he has to say about overwintering.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
cornwall, ON(Zone 4b)

Hi All - I did a laundry basket 2 years ago with chicks
and wasn't sure it would survive the winter. Well, it did but this is what I had to do. Out west will be even harder due to your Chinook winds and high temps for a short time in the winter months. 1. Water thoroughly before freeze-up. 2. Find a shady spot that will not get any sun but will get full snow fall.(Not under an evergreen tree.) The idea is not to have it freezing and thawing on and off all winter- that is what kills. After a good soaking before freezing and then a cover of snow (Cover with leaves or evergreen boughs before the snow, if possible- helps to insulate against high temps during winter) Then the trick is to keep it frozen and also not to let dehydrate if it does happen to thaw out. Hope this makes sense to you and that it will help. I never had a thaw that would take the snow away in the winter. Except for what it would do to some of my plants- It would be a sweet dream in Feb.to loose the snow.
Sandra

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Sandra

Actually the decision is to hang it in an unheated garage with not much light and maybe water mid winter although Im not sure that is necessary.
A lady who was in my garden during open garden told me she made a wreath same way and kept it in her garage overwinter, maybe watered a bit in January and she had had it for 3 years!
I need to store it somewhere where it will hang as there are plants all round so I dont want to put it on the ground otherwise I would just put it in the veggie bed as I do with the tufa containers.
I cant store it in my shed because there is a large south window and even if it is very cold out the sun really heats up the shed so I am hoping to hang it in my neighbors garage!

Incidentally one of the other ladies who made one never put it together like a ball, just has the two halves sitting on the ground, says it looks really nice!

carolvan

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great project! Looks like everyone had fun!
:) Donna

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm going to hang mine in a heated garage.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Jo - heated, or unheated like CarolVan is?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Went back to this thread. The orginal ball has survived 4 years outside. I toss it in the flower bed for the winter. I usually loose 2 or 3 plants (the ones under the ball when it's laying in the flower bed for the winter). Replace a couple & hang it back up in the spring

Victoria Harbour, ON

You've got my attention..will have to go back and re read the posts

Thanks for bringing it back..

I did a birds elder with live roof top on it, tried to grow similar hens/chickens but to no avail..might just try some chicken wire and see what becomes of it!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I ended up taking mine apart and putting the plants in the ground and in a couple of tufa planters which just sit outside all winter.So I am not surprised Joannes survives outside.Pretty tough little plants!

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'm almost positive that I have thin chicken wire..do have some in hypertufa containers as well but they survive the winter, don't want to disturb them. maybe I can canvas some neighbors /friends and they may feel sorry for me and donate a few

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, they are tough - mine used to survive Winnipeg winters outside in the ground. They came back vigorous and healthy. That really surprised me because the ground freezes so hard in Winnipeg and the snow is so high...... But, survive they did - for 5 years. As long as my DH and his friends didn't walk on the LOL And that was always an issue, because they were so close to the ground that the guys didn't notice them!! lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Quote from Bettypauze :
I'm almost positive that I have thin chicken wire..do have some in hypertufa containers as well but they survive the winter, don't want to disturb them. maybe I can canvas some neighbors /friends and they may feel sorry for me and donate a few

LOL Betty - first time I've ever heard you say you want someone to "feel sorry for me" LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'll try anything once Susan! Not sure but think the church plant sale may have some but that is not till end of May.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm going to take that idea to the board, that our Church have a plant sale - end of May for yours, eh? hmmmmmmmmm

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, they make mega dollars, if what I spend is any incling..lol

the day before and early that morning members drop off potted plants, such a variety! They have someone there selling peameal bacon on a bun, coffee etc. I wouldn't miss the sale.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

We'll have to see if the Board members are in favour - some of the congregation no longer have outdoor plants (unable to do the upkeep of gardening) and I don't know about their house plants. It would be dependant upon that, or if any gardening places would donate to the Church for a sale - I'll have to check once the Board members vote......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.