Unknown Tree

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi! This young tree was inherited with our new house - it kinda looks like Ailanthus altissima, Chinese Sumac, but the new leaves were not red/pink. I see this tree quite a lot around this area. The leaves seem to "clump" on the ends of the branches like pom poms. Sometimes these trees have a tall and spindly habit, and sometimes they form a beautiful parasol-like shape. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by ericabelle
West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Here is another picture with a closer view of the leaves - sorry for the poor photos, I must have had my camera on the wrong setting!

Thumbnail by ericabelle
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Winged Sumac Rhus copallinum.

Resin

(Zone 6b)

I agree with resin, it's Winged Sumac. It's very common growing on sandstone derived soils, especially in the Ozarks. Interesting the common name for Ailanthus altissima in your area is Chinese Sumac, since there really is a true Chinese Sumac(Rhus chinensis). If you ever get up to Northwest Missouri, drive around Holt, MO. There are a few true Chinese Sumac planted around town there, which have showy 6" to 10"(15cm to 25cm) tall white bloom panicles in late summer(August-September), unlike the usually yellow-green and not too showy blooms of our native Sumac species.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I second the ID of Rhus copallina, shining sumac; see here:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54367

Shining sumac (or winged sumac) will differ from other common sumacs by the winged rachis to which the leaflets are attached. This is a colonizer, so you may expect to see more stems of it coming up around the yard nearby this main stem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.