Rose cactus: Pereskia Grandifolia

Kuching, Sarawak,, Malaysia

Newly collected seeds, orange flower, ready to trade.

Thumbnail by chia

This is the seed pod, usually takes months before it ripe and ready to collect.

Thumbnail by chia
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

You have Dmail

That's an attractive flowering plant, Mr. Chia. Is it similar to Adenium?

As an aside, my Adenium seedlings are coming along nicely, thanks to your advice in germinating the seeds. Do you know how many years it will take to see flowers on plants grown from seed?

Joseph

No, this is different from adenium. For adenium planted from seeds, it can flower on next year. The advantage of planting seeds is that it will produce the bulb (big size root), if the plant was planted from cutting, it would not have the bulb (big root), then it has very little market value.

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

I dont have anything to trade other then maybe some rhipsalis cuttings. Would you be interested in that...or maybe a SASE? Would love some rose cactus seeds.

I have some fresh seeds of Salvia patens, which has a knockout blue colored flower. I don't know if they would do well in your climate, but if you grew them in a container and kept them in semi-shady area, they may get to liking the tropics. See below for a picture.

Joseph

Thumbnail by

Hi Iismil,
Ya I am interested in rhipsalis cutting, just be fair to u, if u want, I can send u Pereskia Grandifolia cutting instead of seeds. What do u think?

Hi Gerris 2,
Please refer to my D-mail, something offer to u.

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

You have D-mail...thanks

Hey Mr. Chia,

I was successful in growing out some seeds of this fine plant. I just love it! The young leaves have a very attractive red colour to the undersides. It appears from your pictures the older plants lose this character?

Thank you for trading with me.

Best regards,

Joseph

Thumbnail by

Hi Joseph, Ya u got it!
In fact in local here, people use the leaf boil with water and drink it, some said it has good effect on tumour.

I looked at the photos you initially posted in this thread, and I look forward to development of the spines on the stems, and those wonderful orange flowers!

I see the common name is Rose Cactus; would this mean that it should not be watered frequently (cactus to me implies xeric/desert plant)? I would hate to rot them now I have them growing ok.

Joseph

Ya it is call rose cactus, but the photos in plant file is pink not my orange. I do not water it much, my plant is planting on the ground outdoor, easy to take care.

La Grange Park, IL

I would like to trade for your Rose Cactus seeds please. Here is my have list . I have been trading with a lady in India . I don't have any problems getting seeds from her.
Deborah Lavery
402 Newberry Ave
La Grange Park, IL. 60526 USA

Vegetables
Broccoli De Cicco
Onion Hybrid Granex Yellow
Pepper California Wonder Pimento
Pepper Cayenne Long Red Thin
Pepper Chili Cheyenne
Pepper Heat Wave
Pepper Thai Dragon
Pepper Jalapeno Sup Veger Heat
Pumpkin Big Max
Squash Winter Nutty Delica
Tomato Cherry Gardener's Delight
Tomato Cherry Juliet
Tomato Super Sweet

Flowers
Coleus Rainbow Mixed
Ornamental Perennial Grasses Mixed
Hollyhock Fordhook Giant Mixed
Hollyhock Country Romance Mixed
Impatiens Butterfly Hybrid Mixed
Impatiens Dwarf Pink Baby
Impatiens Flavors Hybrid Mixed
Milk Weed Butterfly Plant Common Milkweed
Morning Glory Black Night Dark Blue
Morning Glory Flying Saucers Light pink
Zingiber Offiicinale Ginger
Yucca Agavaceae White Flower Spike

Trees
Maple
Honey Lotus White Flower
Leaves of Heaven

Herbs
Basil Dark Opal Purple
True Lavender Perennial
Rosemary Officinalis

Palms
Date Palm Phoenix dactylifera

Ranburne, AL(Zone 8b)

I would like some of your seeds.Please dmail..thanks Porsha

The plant that grew from seeds you sent, Mr. Chia, is wonderful, simply wonderful. The small soft spines are impressive but once you know their presence, and with a good pair of gloves it is easy to handle. My plant is maybe 3 feet tall now, and I eagerly await the beautiful flowers, maybe they will appear this winter. Thank you for letting me enjoy this species.

Best regards,

Joseph

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.