2008 ORV RU RECIPES!!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

OK Share your recipes! There was some really great food there today!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Yep, very good food. Now post the meatballs, potato salad, any others.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Mine were easy, here are the links to them.

Meatballs
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/681174/

Sopapilla Cheesecake
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/521505/

This message was edited Jun 7, 2008 11:02 PM

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok...mine was easy too.

Meat and Rice Rolls

Make a meatloaf...however YOU like to make it. Flatten on a pc. of waxed paper to a 9x12 rectangle. Have ready: about two cups of cooked rice...I use brown rice in those microwave cups that is already cooked...simply because it is quick and easy. Mix with the rice, several large spoonsful of Cheese Whiz. Also add some parsley flakes...or fresh parsley...or not...lol. Spread rice mixture onto the flattened meatloaf.
Take one long edge of the waxed paper and roll the meat and rice up into a roll. Press the top edge into the meat to seal. Refrigerate for
at least an hour or longer. I also wrap mine in foil after doing the waxed paper thing.
Take out...unwrap...and slice into 12 rolls.
Place in a 9x12 baking pan, lined with foil, sprayed with Pam...or the non stick foil. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Just FYI......... Here is my meatloaf. 1lb. of ground chuck, 1 egg, chopped onion, Lawry salt, pepper, ketchup, italian seasoning, celery flakes, oatmeal, and bread crumbs....and a little milk. Mix all together.

Apple Crisp

This is an Amish recipe.

About ten cups of sliced apples. I used Granny Smith. Keep in water w/ lemon juice to prevent browning.
In microwave...( I am the microwave queen!) put 1 cup of brown sugar, 2 Tlbs. of cornstarch, and 1 cup of water. Mix together the sugar and cornstarch, then add water. Microwave 2 minutes till slightly thickened.

Topping: 1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups of rolled oats
1/2 cup of brown sugar
3 tsps. of cinnamon
1 stick of margarine or butter, melted (in the microwave of course!)

Place sliced apples in the pan. Pour water, sugar mixture over them. Then place crumbly topping over top. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Enjoy!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

This is my baked beans, or Funeral Beans as Neal called them.

2 large cans Bush's original Baked Beans
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup maple syrup
bacon strips, or bacon drippings

Brown 1 pound of ground meat, with chopped onion in a skillet. Drain, add to the beans, and bake at 400 till they are the consistency that you like.

Strawberry Pretzel Salad

1 cup of crushed pretzels
1 cup of pecans
3 TBl sugar
1 stick of butter melted

Mix that mixture and press into a casserole dish or pan, and bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool.

In another bowl mix:

1 8 oz package of cream cheese
1 cup confectionary sugar
1 8 oz carton of Cool whip

Spread that over the cooled crust.

Mix 1 large package of jello, adding the strawberries (either frozen or fresh) and let it jell, to a soft gel, and place over the cream cheese/cool whip, and refrigerate overnight.

You can also substitute any fruit and jello besides the strawberries.

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

Dry-Cooked Spareribs

2 1/2 lb spareribs
4 tblsp soy sauce
2 cups water
1 tsp salt

Wash ribs and cut in separate pieces with bone and meat on each.
Boil ribs, water, sauce, and salt. Simmer 1 hour or 40 minutes for tender
meat.

3 tblsp sugar
1/4 can pineapple or fresh fruit
2 tblsp Sherry

Combine ribs, juice, sugar, sherry, and fruit. Bring to vigorous boil and stir
continously until liquid evaporates and sauce seems wrapped around meat.

---------------------------------
Grilled Vegetables

Marinate the vegetables for 1 hour in:
6 Tb. olive oil
2 Tb. balsamic vinegar
1 Tb. soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 c. chopped rosemary or basil

Grill 15 min, turning halfway.
Add small tomatoes, 5 more minutes.

Note: Aside from the onions and peppers, I usually cut summer squash and eggplants in chunks about 1 1/2" in size. and throw it in the marinade. (This time we gave away all our eggplant, and I had cauliflower on hand - mushrooms, beans, etc. should also work). Then as we never grill, we put the vegetables in a large shallow baking pan in one layer and roast it in a preheated oven (450 degrees) stirring occasionally till golden brown, about 20 minutes. (My MIL liked the recipe, but preferred to stir-fry it).

Another variation I do is: after I put the marinated vegetables in the oven, I put a handful or more of my dehydrated tomatoes in the marinade left behind and when I am almost finished roasting, I stir these tomatoes in and turn the oven off. (I used to have burned-black tomatoes before) We have eaten this stuff in pasta too, it is a very adaptable recipe

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

OK. Here are my recipes.

Cheddar Pepper Thumbprints

6 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (2 oz.)
½ cup butter, softened
1 egg yolk
1 egg white
1 cup all purpose flour
1 TBLS water
1 ¼ cups finely chopped pecans
½ cup Red Pepper Jelly (I buy mine at Kroger's)

Preheat oven to 350% F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease; set aside. In a food processor combine cheese and butter. Cover; process until well combined. Add egg yolk and ¼ tsp ground black pepper, cover and process until well combined. Add flour; pulse several times until a soft dough forms, set aside.
In a small bowl combine egg white and water. Place pecans in a shallow dish. Shape dough in ¾ in. balls. Roll balls in egg white mixture, then pecans. Place 1. apart on prepared cookie sheets.
Press your thumb into center of the ball, reshaping as necessary. Bake about 15 minutes or until edges are firm and cookies are lightly golden. Press puffed centers down using the rounded side of a measuring teaspoon. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Just before serving, place a small amount of pepper jelly in the center of each thumbprint. Store covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days or in the freezer up to 3 months. Thaw if frozen. These are very showy when using 2 different flavors and colors of jelly. You can use red pepper jelly and green pepper jelly for Christmas. Makes about 42 appetizer.

CUBAN HAM ROLLS WITH PINEAPPLE

1 Pineapple ( I use a couple of cans of Pineapple slices drained and cut)
1 ½ cups white sugar (you can use less sugar)
½ cup water
1 lb. Ham, pressed
½ cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons pineapple almibar (syrup)
1 teaspoon vinegar
½ teaspoon mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Peel the pineapple and cut in small pieces and dip in water with salt.
Drain well the small pieces of pineapple and cook them in water with sugar until the syrup sticks slightly to your fingers and the pineapple looks clear.
Let it cool. Drain the syrup well.

The ham should be cut in slices about 1/8 inch thick. Cut each slice into two strips. Place one tablespoon of pineapple at one end of each strip of ham. Roll the strip like a jelly roll and secure with a toothpick. Place the ham rolls in a slightly greased pan. Mix the rest of the ingredients and spread evenly (with a spoon) over the ham rolls.

Bake at 375 degrees F for approximately 45 minutes or until they are golden. Two or three times during the cooking process, baste some of the sauce over the ham rolls.

Approximately 14 ham rolls. Decorate with pineapple chunks and maraschino cherries.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I can't believe I blabbed so much I didn't even have any dessert! And where did the time go? So true about time flying when you're having fun! I sure enjoyed everything I did try- glad to see this thread :-)

I don't measure anything when I cook (except when baking), and I made this one up, but its easy to wing it.

Loaded Baked Potato Salad:
potatoes- washed and scrubbed, cut into bite size chunks with skins on
olive oil
sea salt
course ground pepper
bacon- fried crisp and crumbled
sharp cheddar cheese- grated
scallions, finely sliced/chopped
sour cream
mayonnaise (in this case vegannaise, which has no eggs and safe at room temp)

Coat potato chunks with olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake on sprayed cookie sheet at 450-500F for 20 minutes. Transfer potatoes to mixing bowl while hot, sprinkle in cheese and toss together- the cheese melts and coats the potatoes. Add remaining ingredients and toss together. I use about 75% sour cream/ 25% mayo as the ratio for the "dressing". Mayo seems to enhance the flavor and keep it a bit creamier.

Unlike most potato salads that taste best the next day, this tastes great as soon as its done. I prefer it warm or at room temp.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Pasta Salad

One pound of Farfalle (Bow-tie pasta) cooked, drained and cooled.

Asparagus, cut in bite size pieces and microwaved in small amt. of salted water until crisp/tender.

8 oz. mushrooms, slightly sauteed

Canadian bacon, julienned and browned

pine nuts, toasted

8 ox. mozzerella cheese, chunked

1/2 c. parmesean cheese

Arugala and basil, chifenade, chifffennnadde, shiffen..... cut up real small

Ken's Dressing Balsamic vinegarette

toss to combine. Sometimes, I add more dressing the following day if it seems too dry. In this case, there weren't any leftovers the following day.... :o)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Everything was so good..Always is!

What was that salad with the craisins and feta cheese? Who made it and what all was in that and its dressing?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Yeah, that salad was really good!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Either Mona or Maggie made it. Not sure which one. I was already stuffed when I tried it, but it was yummy!

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

The salad was made by herbmom (Mona).
Will let her know.
Maggie

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a funny about Mona's salad, which by the way was excellent!

My oldest daughter was eating it and so was I, so I asked her how she liked it. She said it was good but wanted to know about the white stuff. I told her I thought it was Feta, which is goat cheese. She was immediately sick and I was about to fall off the bench laughing. She does not eat meat and she thought the cheese was made with "goat". I had to explain it was milk from a goat and not the goat itself. LOL

Milford, OH

I hadn't seen this thread. Maggie told me about it. This is my favorite salad. It's spring mix, feta, dried cranberries, pine nuts, Mandarin oranges (drained and chopped), and Brianna's Blush Wine salad dressing. Glad you enjoyed it.

Badseed, please tell your daughter that my husband used to make goat cheese and I can tell you Emmy was never harmed in the milking process.

Mona

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Hee hee. You get a goat with a full udder and she's MORE THAN HAPPY to let you milk her ;) I miss making cheese.

Lana

Lana, will you teach me how to make goat cheese? (When I have access to goat milk.)

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I didn't make a whole bunch of different kinds but I can show you some great websites that have how-to's and recipes. The cheese I usually made, Panir/Queso Blanco, was so totally easy. You heat the milk to 183 deg F, then pour in some vinegar which causes the kurds to form. You add salt and strain it until the desired dryness. It doesn't melt so I used it a lot in hot dishes to stretch the protein amount without adding more meat, or I crumbled it on salads, etc. I used the whey from this cheese to water my ferns, talk about awesome ferns! :) Of course there're MANY uses for whey. Try http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/index.htm it was my fav website about cheese. It has tons of info about lots of things! I really love that site. Sorry I couldn't help more, darius. I use to have printed recipes but have no idea where they are :)

Lana

Thanks Lana. I bookmarked that site. I do have a lot of recipes and hands-on How-To's filed away.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

You're welcome :)

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey, if anyone starts making goat cheese, I wanna buy some! Good stuff, and good for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.