Any Ideas On The Name Of This One?

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

I received this in a trade last year. The person who sent it said that it had "Blue" in the name, but she had lost the tag. It has a hint of lavender to the blue, but if you put it next to a lavender iris, it looks blue. It is just blooming now, and a lot of my TB's are finished or are finishing up. And, it's easily the tallest iris that I have - well over 42 inches. Huge leaves, and a very thick scape that holds up the flowers well. The beard is lavended/blue and matches the flower perfectly. I bet there are many irises that look like this one, but I thought I'd post and give it a try. Thank you,

Linda

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't know for sure, but could it be Honky Tonk Blues? It looks a bit like it. One test is fragrance. Honky Tonk Blues has an incredibly sweet fragrance. Just a guess.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here is a photo of my Honky Tonk Blues. It looks like yours but darker. Has yours been in the sun?

Thumbnail by pajaritomt

Yes it has been in the sun...most of the day. Is yours in the shade?

Linda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Mine is partially shaded and just opened today, so it may be the same as yours. Have you tried the fragrance test? I find that truly distinguishes this cultivar.

Galax, VA

Hey Linda, I think I sent you that one last year. LOL, I found one called "High Blue Sky" . I think thats it. because I was thinking it had blue sky in it but "Blue Sky" wasn't it. I"ll have to find the site I was in so you can see it.
Your friend at GW and Daves Garden

Galax, VA

Leotas and tesligtegardens still has pic of this and one in plant files.

Here is one of my pics.
[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/gingerbreadgirl_2006/100_8320.jpg[/IMG]

Thumbnail by Gingerbreadgirl
Galax, VA

here is another of it.

Thumbnail by Gingerbreadgirl
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That is a beauty! I may have to have that one, too.

Thanks for posting Ginberbreadgirl! Yes it was you that I got it from. Let me thank you for sharing this beautiful iris with me. It's just gorgeous. I have nothing like it growing here. I checked the picture at Leota's Iris Garden and it really does look like a match. It 's interesting that some pictures show it more as blue, but as I said, mine is a mix of blue and lavender.

pajaritomt, I did do the smell test, and on a scale of 1 to 10, with Sugar Blues being a 10, Immortality a 8.5, my iris is a 7. Some fragrance, but not as much as the two that I mentioned.

Thanks for your help,
Linda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I would put Honky Tonk Blues higher, but would have to go around sniffing this PM to give you a good reading. Glad you solved your mystery.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.