Indian River area

Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

Is anyone from the Indian River area? We just bought a house and I was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on how to garden up there. Both vegs and flowers. I am new to gardening so any ideas and helpful hints would be great!
Thanks...

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Tina,

Welcome to the Michigan forum. I'm not near the Inidan River area so can't answer your questions. Do you know what zone you are? What kind of soil? Sandy? Clay? Sun? Shade? Do you want to grow perennials or annuals and what kind of veggies? There is a specific veggie forum you can read and learn an awful lot. I'm fairly new to veggie gardening but old timer with perennials mostly. There is also a perennial garden forum here at Daves. My best advice would be to know your soil and find out what it might need to be able to grow anything. Put your time , money and efforts into soil ammendments and then plan your garden according to the plants individual requirements. If you are prone to deer or rabbit or squirrel damage you'll have to fence or spray with repellant or you won't have anything left. Most plants like good drainage too unless they are bog plants. If you are on solid clay consider doing raised beds. Also, if you get a lot of wind you need to consider that by not planting soft wooded trees and tall plants you may have to stake unless they can take being whipped around.

Well, there is way more advice and smart gardeners out there to help you along. I hope you get some advice from people in your immediate area.

Good luck and post often.

Brenda

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Chat up the MSU Extension office in Cheboygan. There are a multitude of micro zones in the area, depending on how close you are to the Burt or Mullet lakes

There is a garden club in Onaway, that's not very far away.

http://www.steppingstonesgardenclub.com/about_us.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.