JMG Grow Out Pink Blizzard x Double Blue Kikyo

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi fellow hybridizers. :)

I wanted to share a project I did part of last year and this year. I began by doing a cross between two different kinds of Japanese Morning Glories. The Mom was a pink blizzard large flower and the Dad was a double blue kikyo that happened to have a pollen producing flower on the vine. Then I grew one F1 vine and gathered all the seeds from it. This year I grew those seeds and have the results collected to share. I thought people might enjoy seeing how many different ways they can turn out. Now I`m tired from putting it together and feel like I need a nap lol! Enjoy. Karen

http://picasaweb.google.com/gardenpics2007/JMG2008GrowOutLargeFlowerPinkBlizzardXBlueDoubleKikyo?authkey=okdG8hPKb6U

Thumbnail by gardener2005
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow and Holy Cow!

snapple45, I`m glad you liked it. :)

Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

Wow... That almost looks like Royal Robe (Star of India) with the stiration... I love that cross.

I know what you mean about a nap! I'll go take a peek at picasaweb photos, I may do it in the morning though, this is the first chance I get to sign onto DG today and I'm so sleepy already.

TTY tomorrow.
A.

Thanks Gourd, It is hot weather and very warm even early in the morning and evening when I`m watering the plants and I think it is just exhausting sometimes.

Karen

Louisville, KY

Karen I was out walking around our nursery and I noticed something that reminded me of this post. In the far back area we have compost piles and brush piles over the summer weeds and morning glories take over the place. I usually hate them as they take over parts of my landscapes but I did notice one this year that was much different. It had a ton more flowers and it seemed to flower longer than the rest with flowers open until almost dark. I figured it maybe a polyploidy sense the leaves looked bigger as well but the flowers seemed about regular size. Here is a quick photo I took of it during the day. I am not sure if you can tell if it is budding out more than any normal one but it did seem to catch my eye and for a morning glorie that is saying something.

This is not a good photo at all of the plant but you should get the idea you can see all the flower buds on it. Unfortunatly it is growing on top of a burn pile. Not sure when they plan to burn it I figure I might go up and get some seeds or possibly try and move it.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

Hi Brian,

I`m no expert on field plants ID but it looks like calystegia sepium. If it is that one then you have a bad weed. They grow in hedgerows.

Send some closer up pictures of the sepals,open flowers and leaves so maybe we can look it up and find out more about it.

Karen

Hedge Bindweed is a common name. Also measure the flowers. There is another kind of calystegia that produces very large flowers.

Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

I saw this thread pop up, how are the flowers doing? Mine are kaput for this year.. hopefully you've had a good crop and better year.
A.

Louisville, KY

It looks like it is calystegia sepium. I have no idea how different it is from the morning glories but it does look nice from a distance it is always in bloom. I thought it was just a over blooming morning glory do they alway bloom this much? A shame it is so weedy.

Brian, I know I cover my eyes seeing how pretty they are knowing I can`t bring them home lol!!! :)

Hi Gourd,

Yes, doing great here. I managed to pick all my ripe pods before the storm and the green pods managed to finish ripening after the storm. Only a few vines were torn and drowned so bad they died. Most got the leaves whipped so bad they were damaged to the point where they turned brown and hung lifeless but the plant quickly regenerated new growth. They looked dreadful even after a haircut but now they have filled back in with some new growth.

I made a few selections of the F2 and have some F3s planted and waiting and seeing for more selecting and culling out. Most of my harvest this year will be for yet again more growouts next year. Some of the growing I have done is F1 crosses with the double blue and another type of large flower for further growing and selecting next year.

Karen

This message was edited Sep 23, 2008 1:44 PM

Mesilla Park, NM

Yes, that storm was something, my SIL lives in New Orleans, they were gone for a few days both times... Katrina ruined their home and they just finished rebuilding this year... what a soul breaking thing that is!

That sounds awful. Home is where the heart is and that is heartbreaking. I hope they are able to recover.

My husband is working in Houston. I heard on the news there was one huge tree that fell on three houses. While we were still here I went to bid some jobs with my husband and saw some yards in terrible disarray. We were out of power for 5 days. Now things are slowly getting back to normal. I have a problem with my cable connected to the computer so I`m going on and off. I should be getting that fixed today. I`m going to sign off and catch up on some chores. Bye/Bye,

Karen

Here is another flower from my experiment. I crossed a pink double with a blue double and got this:

Thumbnail by gardener2005

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.