suggestion for vine for tuteur

(Annie ) in Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

Years ago I gave my father-in-law a tuteur with an ivy growing up it. He lovingly took care of it for years until he recently passed away. I now have the tuteur, sans ivy, and I want to plant a flowering vine on it to go in the middle of my rose garden as a memorial to my FIL. It is not but about 48" tall. Can anyone suggest a smaller variety that would do well in such a situation? Thanks,
Annie

P.S. West sun in Texas

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

What colour Clematis do you prefer...and what is the colour of your rose?...Jeanne

The roses surrounding the area are pink and red. I have ordered a passiflora "Sherry" which is red to try and grow with it. So possibly purple?

Delaware, OH

piilu makes a fabulous small feature, very floriferous!

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Delaware, OH

multiblue(almost finished blooming in zone 5b and star of india(just starting to bloom here)

Delaware, OH

rouge cardinal

Delaware, OH

margaret hunt

Delaware, OH

golden tiara

Wow, those pictures are spectacular! Can I just come and live in a tent in your yard? I love that piilu, the literature says 10-12 feet on it. Will my 48" tuteur manage that? It also said it was late flowering. Exactly what would that mean in my zone?

Dan at Brushwood recommended Hendryetta. I think I am going to order it because it is just so cute!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Niobe, all your clems just look so full and fabulous! Your yard must be gorgeous. I don't believe I've seen Margaret Hunt before. Do you remember where you got it?

In your Multiblue picture, did you make the stained glass circle?

Delaware, OH

goldfinch... no i didn't make the stained glass piece. i bought it somewhere years ago and as it got kicked from kitchen to bathroom and finally to garden it has held up well. i like it with multiblue and it fills the trellis in the off months for those clematis. my first few years with clematis were tough, big learning curve (still in progress)!!!
margaret hunt is not that common and one of my favorite. it blooms on and on. got it at a place called "song sparrow "on line i believe. right now i like ordering from silver star and brushwood. not too much to buy locally that i don't have. hope it becomes more popular as it is a good clematis with few problems.

Delaware, OH

re ..piilu...to groom it on a 48 inch structure you prune it after it blooms and you can keep it smaller.youcan also prune back agressive spring growth one time if no buds have formed. it will bloom a little later this way, but maybe a better plant for it.
i keep a lot of the types smaller due to the display i am trying to create, or natural causes will also keep them smaller than the max size you read about. plus they take years to achieve the max size. you can move it after 4 years if it is too big!!
i am in zone 5 b and it started blooming june 1 this year. pillu is truly a favorite for me. the pink with the bright yellow anthers and white margins of the flower make it very cheerful.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

the President clematis is a nice purple.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

niobe, I'm familiar with Song Sparrow - in fact I was just looking at some of their plants last night. I'll check for Margaret Hunt there. Thanks!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Niobe, Your clematis are beauties! They look great in the woodland setting you are in. Pretty trellis's and stained glass piece.

Delaware, OH

thanks for the feedback. i am on 2 acres with 3 large clematis areas, and of course others interspersed with shrubbery and in assorted areas. i try and keep new plants within one of the established clematis areas. i clematis do not grow any in containers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.