CLOSED: ID these hawks?

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I often see hawks at the very top of this pine, but it's too far away to get a really good picture and yet if you try to get closer all you can see is a canopy of trees. I saw these two this morning. The trees are thick, so I didn't get a good look when one flew away and I missesd the other leaving. My bird book has pics of hawks flying, so I can't tell what these are. I'll share multiple pics such as they are.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's one with the hawk on the left facing the other way.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Here he is (one on left) turning around. I saw the one on the right fly away. Didn't appear to be all white underneath but neither seemed to have any barring on the chest.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Here the one on the right has his wing extended a bit.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

This is the last one where they are being dive bombed by a blue jay. Thought it might help with size comparison.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Tough one from these pics! My best guess is Broad-winged Hawk (light phase), but that's far from certain.

Resin

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I looked at the Broad-winged hawk, but I didn't know they had a light phase. The pictures I looked at all had pretty heavy streaking on the breast and these two had lily white breasts. I wish I had gotten a look at the tail in flight.

Yep, the light phase does have a white breast; it is shown in Sibley's guide.

My guess is they're a couple of recently-fledged young, so a return trip might give more photo opportunities.

Resin

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I think you're exactly right about the two being recently fledged. They were both back this morning in the same tree. Still didn't get a shot of the tail and my other photos aren't great. I tried to use more of my zoom, but I really need a tripod. Here's a picture of the second hawk arriving where the tips of the wings are black like a broad-winged.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's that same hawk flying away, but I think it's too blurry to see anything useful.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

This is the first hawk flying away.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Thanks! Still think they're most like Broad-winged, but I can't exclude the possibility of pale Red-shouldered; the first of the new pics shows a hint of a more R-sH upperwing pattern, but not definite.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.