Multi Blue with different leaves.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Isn't this odd? My Multi Blue has one spot that the leaves look totally different, but the flowers look the same.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

This is another bloom closer to the top. You can see the leaves aren't like the ones in the first picture.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Here is a picture of the whole plant.

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Not odd at all...if there is a fluxuation in the weather during the formation..that can happen..I've had it many times on mine..Jeanne

Delaware, OH

the varigated leaves are actually the outside sepals that for some reason when the bud formed did not pickup the genetic color. they may have been exposed to extreme heat. a clematis flower is all sepals, the colored "petals" are not really petals at all. it is very common to have these sepal like leaves be variaged, crunched, twisted and other forms that are not standard. duchess of edinburg in particular produces these leave like sepals, one of the reasons it is such a special variety. enjoy your unique and beatuiful blooms!

Wow, thank you for the explanation. We have had some very hot days here and there, so that explains it. I'm glad I asked, it's fun to learn something new. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.