Goldenrods / Solidago

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

After trying for a couple years to get some goldenrods growing, I finally have a bunch of seedlings to plant out back. But the one I dug up from the side of the road last year and planted in the the middle of my perennial bed out front has turned into a big clump and gotten huge. No problem, I divided it and moved some out back where I'd like more - but the few remaining stalks are really tall. I'd like to keep some out front for this fall, but right now they're kind of in the way. They're probably 4 feet high now.

My question is this: can goldenrods be cut back in height the way asters can? Or should I just let them go in a spot where they can do as they please?
Thanks

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

My experience with cutting the wild species of goldenrod back is that they develop an odd-looking, divided flower head, rather than the beautiful single plume that they normally form. It won't hurt the plants, but they won't be as attractive.

Also, just a warning--those tall beauties will behave in a clump-like fashion for a couple of years, and then they'll start to spread far and wide by runners under the ground. Plant them in an area where that spread is a good thing, rather than in a typical perennial bed where they'll be difficult to control.

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

I agree...invasive is a word I'd use for goldenrod in fertile soil and watered regularly.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I did cut back the couple I left out front, but the rest have been turned loose out back where they can spread as far as they are wont to do. I'm really looking forward to seeing them in that part of the yard, along with asters, joe-pye weed and the rest. That much less to mow!

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I do cut mine back and the flower heads are not as big, but it makes more of them and it is very attractive.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I don't believe you can keep a goldenrod from flowering.

I mow/pull/chop/etc these all summer long in my nursery area, yet there always seems to be enough energy to flaunt a yellow bloom sometime come fall, which unencumbered means a hundred new ones next year.

They are pretty, nonetheless.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I have to admit that when fall comes, I need those bright yellow blooms, but I pretty much curse them soundly the rest of the year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.