Is my forsythia doomed?

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I first posted this in the 'garden pests and diseases' forum, but haven't gotten a reply yet. I'm impatient. I discovered irregular growth and some die-back on my five forsythias. Does anyone know what it is and how do I know if I have to trash all the plants?

Here's the original post: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/859234/

Thanks!
Harper

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Sure it's not a critter?

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Tell us how, when and where you got them. Were they ball and burlap, field dug, can pot raised or bare root ? When were they planted....time of year and how many years ago? Could there have been a chemical drift from you or your neighbors use of a product like Round Up. Could you have used a chemical tank to spray that was tainted with herbicides like Round Up? Any other plant on your place or a neighbors place with a similar problem?
Did you use any fertilizer when planting? What and how much?

I think they will bounce back. Never have been aware of a major problem with this plant. If this were mine I would eliminate the top third to enable the plant to work on rebuilding the bottom two thirds and throwing new stems from the roots.

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi! Don't throw the top away if you do, they root very easily. You can usually just stick them in the ground, but they can be rooted in water, also, Good luck!
Doe/Audrey

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

I don't think it's doomed. It seems to be trying to recover from it. looks as though there's a good chance it's a critter, if the critter goes away it will be fine. If it was something else, even it was chemical, it looks as though it's going to be fine if the whatever happened to it doesn't happen again.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Good point Audrey!

Best time to start cuttings is in the Spring just as the buds are waking up. Worst time is when the plant is in soft leaf as it is right now.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I wouldn't keep these cuttings anyway. I think its a disease and not a chemical, critter or bug. Doc, I'll get the answers to your questions tomorrow. Thank you everyone for your input!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I bought these at a reputable nursery (Rosedale). I'm not sure, but I think they were burlaped, if not, they were in a pot. I planted them in the fall of '04 or '05. No possibility of a chemical drift. No other forsythia within 200 feet. There are some down the street that look fine. I haven't used any fertilizer when planting or since. I did have to remove a few euonymous plants about 30 feet away that had crown gall. I haven't gone to look for any galls on the forsythia yet, but I can't figure out what else the problem could be.

Not much help, huh?

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

Those people at Rosedale won't take anything back. They're snarly and mean. And they close so early, it's as if they don't even want working people shopping their store.

But they do have wonderful plant materials, it is true.

Sigh

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

I wouldn't throw away the cuttings, plant them someplace away from the priginal. You might have something new! You can always throw it away later!
Audrey

You took away most of the possible external possible causes. Usually cutting them back excites new growth. They bloom on new growth. Hope it comes back for you. If it were mine I would still wack of the top third and count on new growth excitement.

In addition I would scratch in a handfull or two of an organic fertilizer low numbers like
4-2-4 and keep it watered good once a week if you get a dry spell.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Good point Audrey!

Daisy, the folks at Rosedale only started warming up to me once they saw me come by frequently and all cheery with my cute son. After that, they started giving my son free candy. They are harsh at first. They took back a few things for me, even after their 1 year guarantee.

Doc, I'll do just what you say. I'll cut off all the diseased stuff, hack it back by 1/3 and add some compost and org. fertilizer.

Thanks for all your advice!
Harper

Just my opinion...........if anything can fix it offering it the good stuff will.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Doc, I was reading my journal from last year. Turns out, I did give it organic fertilizer last May, but not this year. I don't think fertilizer is the problem, but adding some could help.

I still haven't checked for galls yet. I was working in the back all day today.

Harper

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.