was very hot and now the sever thunderstorms are hitting
Hold on button down!!!

good luck michiganderz!

last yrs may storm picture!!

Thumbnail by notmartha
South Rockwood, MI(Zone 5b)

cool picture....

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Hay Dorie did you guys over that way do alright It was kind of bad here for a few min. but blew over kind of fast I was watching to make sure the pontoon was still tied to the dock wheeeewww
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I was driving down Santiago Road when I heard the emergency alert on the radio. They said a tornado had touched down or been sighted in Standish and was due to hit Omer at 5:30. I looked at my clock and it was two mintues until five thirty. I floored the van. I put that petal all the way down and was going 90 MPH and praying no deer would run out in front of my van. I got home and ran into the house and got my 92 year old mother up and told her we had to go to the basement. It was so dark off to the west. She has dementia and was hesitant but I was insistant there was a tornado. She walks with a walker and somehow I got her down all those basement stairs and sat her in a chair. Poor thing was wore out. I keep a radio in the basement and turned it on and we stayed down there till the storm had passed. By then my husband was home and he helped me get her back upstairs. All is clear here now and there was no damage to anything that I can see. Thank goodness.

Hope everyone else is OK.

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

we did get some wind and a lil rain but NO damage.
this is the month for michigan to get hammered with bad storms
my first yr here on my dh centennial farm=tornado hit,lots of damage in Dorothy land/
have had several bad storms and HIGH winds here
One plant trade we watched a tornado heading right at us!

we have made it through the first big one

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda what a fright glad every one is fine !!!!
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

That is a great picture Dori.

Had some weather later in the day, and a storm or two last night. Haven't been out yet this morning to ck damage.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Ugh............the humidity! I'm having a birthday party tomorrow for my two year old granddaughter and I have to turn the oven on to bake her cake. I HATE the thought of turning on that oven. I got my shower early and have the house shut up and the air set to 80 degrees. We have a big floor fan we turn on at the bottom of the basement stairs and we keep the kitchen door open. It blows the cold air from the basement up into the house to cool it. Saves on the air conditioner having to kick on. We're having the party down at the pole barn porch so we have stuff to carry down there and we're going to blow up balloons with the air compressor. As soon as we're all done down there I'm coming back in and hit the recliner under the ceiling fan and watch movies the rest of the day. :)

At least all this rain has been good for the newly planted trees, flowers and veggie garden. Thank you God for all the good rain!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

We had a bad storm last night around l0pm. Lots of lightning, no tornadoes. Today it doesn't even look like it rained. The ground must of just absorbed all the rain from it being so hot yesterday.

Harrison, MI

here is another pic of last summer weather, not something I would normally do. It was tornado weather on this day last summer too.. Mt. Pleasant is where it was taken.

Thumbnail by lynchl
Harrison, MI

& another

Thumbnail by lynchl
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

We got hammered here in Plainwell as well... It rained and stormed and rained and stormed for about three hours or more... My husband had to go to work right in the middle of a tornado warning in Kalamazoo. He said the sirens were going off and all the patients were sitting in the hall. The tunnel was full of employees. Boy what a storm... Pretty scary. The sky was really dark and moving very fast. Glad you all are okay... It looks like we are in for it again soon.... Really dark out again.. Fine just hope no more tornado anything!!! LOL. Thats really scary. Of couse after the storm Im always looking for branches and twigs down on the plants!!! LOL pretty bad huh?? Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

South of me in saginaw there was lots of damage and then north of us crump/linwood area. I heard up by hale/rose city got hit pretty hard! i hate these storms...,...cold and HOT do not mix well!! I do luv the heat!!!(im so suppose to be a tropical)

Its really windy here and the radar shows alot of storms heading this way!! sure hope they quiet down fast tonight
But the lightning and rains sure have made things GROW

OH OH How about those redwingz that was a great final game!!!! kickedbuttt!!!!!!!!!!!
hope everyone is ok!!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

wow again today! we had really high winds here and a ton of rain-no damage again here-praise the Lord!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well that was exciting I had a medium size tree come down of course it landed on my NEW rose bed!!!! but the plants are all okay the little mister and I went out and moved it till he can saw it up hope every one is okay and not to much damage
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

We got it again also!!!! The sky was really wied you could see the line of storms coming in!! It was kinda light gray in the front and really dark black behind. It came in really fast. I just went down the street to get some food and it almost beat me home.... The wind. I thought it was going to snap all the trees they were bending in ways they are not suppose to bend!!! The rain was hammering everyting in its way!!! Wow I dont know how much rain we got in a very short amount of time.. It probably only lasted about 45 mins. But it was bad.... Are they saying more tonight??? My dog shakes really hard when it storm I have to kick him off the bed he keeps me awake!!! Poor baby. Well hold on to your hats. The only thing that broke is my gazing ball Ive have for about 5 years... Sorry old friend you will be missed. Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Glad to hear your alright Ronna I dont know if were supposed to get more hope not
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Gloria, sorry about your tree but glad your new roses survived. Ronna sorry you lost your gazing ball. You should make one like Dori does.

We got the rain here too real bad. We were having my granddaughters birthday party. We were outside and saw a funnel. We ran for the basement and stayed down there for about half an hour till the worst of it passed. I heard on TV that others in AuGres saw the funnel too but it didn't touch down and do any damage. They showed two and a half inch hail someone picked up off the ground but I forget what city it was. We didn't get any of that. Thank goodness or it would have wrecked my plants.

Glad for the rain. Could do without the drama. If we keep going to the basement this often I really need to clean it and organize it. :)

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

hay Brenda so glad your fine I thought about you and Deann when I saw the weather report when I got home from work just mins. be for the storm have you heard from any one else up that way???
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I think we had 3 more storms roll through last night then I went to sleep what a night !! My poor iris and peoneys look like wet tissue on sticks But I still only see one tree down so all in all not bad at my house hows every one else??
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok,
Walked in the woods after the storm and no trees down. Don't think it hit as bad here as other places. Very short storm.

Last night thunder and lightning show most of the night. We will see if anything is down from that one, but so far so good and everyone ok here.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Well we dodged the bullet again here in AuGres.............just alot of wind and rain........however a torando went through West Branch and took out a small striop mall.....

Deann

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

boy they realy got it about 5-6 miles from me over by Beverton LOTS fo trees down and a barn and shed so my little old tree was nothing thelittle mister has it all cleaned up and no one I know of got hurt !!!!
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Lots of limbs down but no great damage... More tonight I guess. My son says its so dry in Georgia that they would be glad to have to rain.. Well batten down the hatches!! Ronna.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Ronna I don't think we are going to get the wind we have had the last few storms hope hope but good luck
Gloria

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

I was out last night and taking pix of the storm, and tried to get
a shot of the lightning...and lo and behold, got it!
Its just north from our farm, and real close.

I just can't get over this weather.
2 months dry as a bone, and then wham. hay got ruin't. we lost
half the crop!!!!!

sheri

Thumbnail by WigglyPaw
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow! great picture!!!

My mom called yesterday. She lives on Wixom lake. She is still without power. She went and moved in with a friend for a couple days. As she was leaving, she saw that a house a couple down from her had been hit by a tree and half the house was in shambles. She never heard it. There were 3 trees down in that one spot, with one over the road. The lady who lived in the house said that she was never so frightened in all her life, but that they were ok and on the other side of the house when it happened. (Sunday afternoon)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

cparts what rd. dose your mom live on I know people over by Martin rd . ?? glade she all right !! got nasty over there
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

She is on that side of the lake, not far from Martin rd. (it is a small private road that goes off from Martin road) She is between brushaber and esty road. They got hit harder there than we did here in Gladwin. She said there were quite a few trees down.
I only saw one tree down here in the woods. That is pretty good.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

We got hit really hard here 2 days in a row. Sunday night when we got home from church we had to fix our privacy fence, one of the sections was laying in our neighbors yard, and one of my clematises got pulled up with it, I had it in a pot on the patio table and for got to set all my plants on the patio b4 I came in the house, well shoot, and the storm hit fast and furious b4 I could get out there and it blew our table over.

You know, I thought oh no, this is not good! there was such a calm, not one leaf or blade of grass or flower was moving for a good long time and the sky was really getting black, dh thought it was going around to the south of us and would miss us, but it turned back no sooner than he walked from the kitchen to the living room. I was doing dishes and looking out the window watching it. I told him, think again and he couldn't believe how fast it turned. He went outside to watch, I was going to go out side with him but by the time I got the dishes done and the counter wiped down, I thought I had better fill some jugs up with water in case we lose power, by the time I got the 2nd one filled, it hit :( Ken came running in.... Man was that wind strong.

This morning when dh went out side to access the damage, he found one of our sassafras trees snapped and was laying on one of our evergreen trees, :( The evergreen is fine. But all in all, everything is fine here on my little corner of MI. My gr sons came over last night to make sure granny and papa were okay, I was shocked ^_^ Those boys don't usually do anything together but fight. I was so tickled to see them and they stayed and watch a movie with us. Where they live 2/3 miles up from here was with out power, They told us a big old tree fell on the utilities box, I was surprised we kept power. we usually don't.

It cloudy today with a mist of rain right now and suppose to be this way all day. I hope everyone else is faring well! I haven't got to talk to Dori in a few days, so not sure if she has power or not. Hope all is well.

Connie

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

cparts I know where your talking about hope they get power soon

Connie I'm going to see Dorie in about 1 1/2 hrs shes got power
sorry about your tree I had one down too!!!
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Connie, glad you all are OK. We have some wicked weather for sure. It's raining here in AuGres too...........nice lite slow rain. We got out and mowed part of the property yesterday. The grass had grown so fast and I knew more rain was coming. There were areas I couldn't mow because of water standing. The ground is saturated. Good thing my big perennial bed is a raised bed that drains and my veggie garden is built up on a hill between two lower ditchings. I'd like to go out and do some hoeing but it's so wet. I guess I'll just wait till it fairs off and dries up a bit.

I heard more and more rain is coming. I'm happy for the rain but I wish we could spread it over the whole summer. :) It is good for seed germination. For fun the little granddaughter and I planted some kind of sunflowers that get 12 feet tall. I planted them in front of the 8 foot fence I got around the veggie garden so I can tie them up if I have to. Hope they come up and nobody eats them. :)

Brenda

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I am thankful for the rain, and I wish it could be spread out over the summer to. All my plants were needing it really bad, ( I know mine weren't the only ones ) all my veggies are doing so good, nothing like rain to make them babies grow ^_^

DH and I started cleaning out all the weeds and OMG all the cleome seedlings ( theres a carpet of them ) I didn't get to preen in the fall and didn't get it down soon enough this spring. but I dug up a bunch of plants and moved them to the big bed out back, still have several more to go. DH is going to fill it in more, then I will start replanting. going to do it a bit different. I have several DL's I need to move from the big bed and other plants to put there. Its a never ending process :o)

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Looks like an all day rain today for us here downstate.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We went to Houghton Lake to visit my husband's brother and sister. Driving home was a nightmare. We seemed to be between two storms and we kept driving into it. THe hail would come down and the rain in torrents so hard everyone was pulling over on the shoulder. We'd sit a while then get back on the road and the same thing. We'd drive back into the storm and have to pull over. I bet we pulled over half a dozen times before we finally drove out of that mess.

When we got back to AuGres I could see we've had rain here today too. Not sure how much but everything looks super wet. :) We'll need an ark if this keeps up. The big pond is full to the top. I hope the great lakes are coming back up in levels too.

Brenda

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

what rain? LOL We didn't have drop here today.
go figure. look across the street and they have snow...and we will have sun.

glad everyone made it through this batch of storms in a good way.

is there any tree that can stand up to these thunderstorms? is any tree
safe near the house? I haveplanted two honey locusts about 20 feet
from the house...should I just have them topped when they get to be
about 30 feet high and maintain them at that height?

do any pines do better?
what about tulip trees?
sher

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Our big white pines have been breaking off at the tops. (about 10" though at the break) makes a big hole in the ground when they hit.

Oaks are about the strongest, but even them, with the wet, wet, wet, can be pulled out by the roots.

I believe tulip trees are soft too. I am not sure about honey locust. I think that is a harder wood.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well two days and no rain here in plainwell!!! Almost forgot what theat was like:) We really needed the rain though. But a couple of days to dry out would be great! Man did my flowers ever grow with all the rain.. The grass also. I need to mow now. Have a great evening, Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Every thing here is happy and growing and I have to mow and weed the new bed its a mess !!! have fun
Gloria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.