Shady garden full of flowers!

La Porte, IN(Zone 5A)

This message was edited Monday, Sep 24th 8:36 AM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Wouldn't have a picture, would you?

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Dan_D,

I'd love to see a picture too! And do you know if any, and, or all of those would do well In Texas, Zone 7?

"eyes"

La Porte, IN(Zone 5A)

I'm sorry I can't post a pic ( too new at this computer thing)because I haven't hooked up my scanner. I have a lot of pics and as soon as I can, I will post some. 'EYES', I don't know if these plants will survive in your zone. I'm pretty sure that ginseng, and baneberry wouldn't be able to take the heat, but I'm just guessing. Maybe someone else will see this thread and help you. Happy Gardening!

Topeka, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Eyes,
Shade plants that have to go dormant in winter in order to survive probably will not work in your neighborhood. A good place to check would be perennial catalogs or online nurseries. They will usually state in the description of each plant which zones are best. Are planting zones part of the Plant Database here? Hmmm. I need to check on that...

I met a lady once who tried for 2 years to grow hostas in Waco -- didn't work out. Still, it doesn't hurt to try! (*~*)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

USDA zones are part of our database :) AHS zones are not, though - still a bit too new to add reliable info for most plants. Unfortunately not everyone checks the zones on their entries, so I'm working as fast as I can to spot the ones missing that information (and any other missing info) and complete the entry.

If you find any plants that are missing zones, etc. please feel free to e-mail me with the URL (you can cut and paste it from your browser bar), or at least the name of the plant. NOTE: Annuals and vegetables generally don't have zones, so please don't send me those ;0)
Thanks!
Go_Vols/Terry

Topeka, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info, Terry! Made a brief tour of the data base last weekend and didn't remember. I need to set aside a big block of time to check it all out--looks like it's packed with great information. (and a lot of hard work!)

Sometimes I type before I think.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Blonde-Elf, welcome to DG, (by the way)

Your question was a good one, actually. Up until a few months ago, the answer would have been "No, it doesn't consistently have USDA zones." It was one of the enhancements I asked Dave to make, along with all the other pull-down lists and checkboxes you now see. I figured it would help us in the long run be able to search for plants with specific characteristics - height, bloom time, hardiness, shade/sun and moisture requirements, invasiveness, toxicity (for those who want to avoid them) etc.

If ya'll have any questions or suggestions about the database, please let me know - I'm usually filling up a "wish list" of things for Dave to add/change ;0)

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Blond_Elf,
We are trying to grow hostas in zone 8.. so far not too bad.. now if they will go to sleep. We feel like they will. I'll keep U posted..
Sugar_fl

This message was edited Monday, Sep 17th 2:11 AM

This message was edited Monday, Sep 17th 2:15 AM

Longview, TX

hostas can do fine in Texas...not all varieties will work though...http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/county/smith/homegardens/homegardens.html Check out Smith County's website. Some varieties do well, some dont. So far all they show is '98, '99, 2000....2001 isnt over yet....cant wait to see what it says.
Oh, and this is zone7-8

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.