please help id my forsythia's problem

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

It looks like it has some kind of die-back or wilt. Here's some photos.

Thanks!
Harper

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I clipped all of this off it already. (Actually, there's 5 plants planted next to each other. All 5 have it.)

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

more pics

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I had something similar happen last year to my forsythia. I believe it was three or four of them affected; these plants were only a year old. There were an additional 4 older established ones right next to them that were not affected at all. Unfortunately, I never found out what the problem was.

Like you, I clipped the affected branches. This year, they seem to be fine. Who knows?

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Thank you pennefeather. I still have a little more to clip, then I'll wait and see how they look next year.

New York, NY

Forysthia can get a couple different types of fungus, but it sounds like you are doing the right thing. You might want to thin them out too, especially if they are dense in the middle. Air circulation should help. I did it last year after some tips had dieback and this year's bloom and growth was much better. Also, if it is a fungus, remember to clean your pruners (between cuts if you can stand it) so you don't spread it. Good luck.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Thank you Italent. They're not dense yet, but it seems my pruning job has helped.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.