Thank you Donna!

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

I got your beautiful alliums this afternoon in the mail. They are such a pretty lilac color. I planted them in front of my garden, right behind the silver mound and in front of the sedum. I'll post a photo tomorrow after I've given them a chance to unwind a bit after their trip. Now I know how to pack plants - you did an impeccable job. What was that gel-like stuff? They arrived super-healthy and happy. 3 of them have buds, and two are starting to flower! Thank you so much! I couldn't find the price of shipping on the package. Please Dmail me with the cost and I'll send you a check. I was also thinking that if you want some centaurea montana or some digitalis grandiflora, I do have enough of these that I could divide and send you some. Just let me know.

Thanks so much. It was like getting a birthday present. How fun!

Pam.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Okay. I couldn't wait. Here are two pictures. I can't wait to see them in full bloom.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

from the other side.

Thumbnail by pgt
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Pam,

Thank you so much! This is delightful. Yes, they will get much bigger. And you have placed them beautifully (of course).

Keep filling out that beautiul canvas.

Donna

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's a lovely combination and good placement too since the allium leaves will go dormant later in the season. Really pretty!

susan

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan,

I agree. Pam placed them beautifully.

Pam, I would love some of your digitalis! And the gel stuff is hydrosorb. There was thread recently on how to pack plants, written by Jill Nicholas. I dug up each allium, washed off the soil, dipped the roots in a solution of about 1 teaspoon of hydrsorb to a cup of water. It makes a slurry. I then wrapped the roots in damp paper towels, and used some Glad Press n' Seal to ceate a little paper towel pachage, making sure the Glad product did not touch the bulbs. Then I wrapped each bulb in newspaper and taped the ends. And lastly, I made sure the package was tight inside the container by sending as many bulbs as would fit - no rattling around.

Here is the thread:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1202/#discuss

I am so grateful to Jill. Your bulbs were my first test. I am so thrilled to see how beautifully you used them.

Donna

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a pic of my digitalis grandiflora. Just wanted to make sure that it's what you want. I also have the tall digitalis purpurea, but I only have one plant, so until it spreads, I'm not ready to give it up yet.

Let me know if the digitalis grandiflora is what you want, and I'll send some your way.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh, and should I wait until its done blooming? Will it be too stressful for the plant if I send it while its blooming, or doesn't it matter?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh Pam, how gorgeous. I grow digitalis mertonensis from seed, and I would LOVE your foxgloves. It probably would be wise not to send them in bloom (as I understand it, that's when a plant is most vulnerable). I'll dmail you my address.

Donna

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Last year Pam promised me some of her foxgloves. True to her word, she shipped them to me earlier this year. I've never really been able to grow them, and I just wanted people to see how glorious they are. Thank you Pam!

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Donna, I'm so happy that they are blooming for you. The Digitalis grandiflora (what I sent you) are perennial, so they should come back every year. Mine are starting to bloom now, but aren't completely open like yours are yet. Mine do get quite a bit of shade in their spot though, maybe that's why. I'm so happy you like them! Your's is the first trade I've ever done, and now I'm hooked. What a fun way to get and share plants!

(btw, your allium just finished blooming, and they were gorgeous. You got me hooked. I bought a bunch of purple sensation, and some globemaster in the fall. They are really beautiful. I don't think I ever would have thought to plant some if you hadn't suggested it, and then sent me some. Thanks again).

--Pam

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a pic of my some of my foxglove this year . . .

Thumbnail by pgt
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Pam,

I just love your plant. I'm looking forward to letting them seed or dividing them. There is nothing like them in my yard. They are in front of a rose - a classic combo!

Donna

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh yes, you'll be pleased to know that this was my first trade too. It got me hooked as well, and I've done several since. It really is a wonderful way to get fabulous plants.

D

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Oooh. That sounds very pretty. I love foxglove with roses. You'll definitely be able to divide them. Mine keep getting bigger and bigger, and I keep dividing and dividing. They are pretty fast growers. I love the pale yellow. It's such a happy pretty color.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.