New to this forum

(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

but long time DGer.

Are Jatrophas in this category as well? I have 2 that were given to me last year and they seem to be doing well, but I'd like any helpful hints about soil, light exposure and all that, if anyone has any hints to offer.

I have ordered some Adenium arabicum seeds also. I have a bit of info on how to best germinate them, but again, I would appreciate any input on those also.

Thumbnail by maggidew
Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Hi Maggidew,

Lovely "Buddha's Belly" plant - and welcome.:-)

Yes, Jatropha podagrica is caudex-formning. I have two Jatropha species: J. multida and J. podagrica (like the one in your photo).

They are easy to grow - just remember to put them in soil with good drainage, and keep them warm and almost dry in Winter (not below 70 F - otherwise you might end up with rotting plants). In my experience, J. podagrica doesn't like too much direct summer sun - it's better in half shade. J. multifida - on the other hand - likes plenty of sun. I water them daily on hot, sunny days.

For comparison, a comment on the climate here: It doesn't get really hot here in Denmark (max tempertures are 85-90 F in the Summer - we only seldom hit 90 F). So most of my caudiciform plants get 10-12 hours of direct sun outside - even seedlings.

Best regards,

Martin

This message was edited Jun 5, 2008 4:43 PM

This message was edited Jun 5, 2008 4:45 PM

Townsville, Australia

These are a couple of my ant plants. Myrmecodia beccarii. The form with short spines grows much further south than spike,
which I collected near the tip of Cape York , Queensland, Australia. I grow both types on coconut in with the orchids. The southern form has buds at the moment, and they are both easy to grow from seed. I just put the seed on a 1/2 coconut, keep it quite wet over summer and have had almost 100% success with germination.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.