time to start a second crop.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I asked on another thread how many plants for 3 people and was told since what I am growing don't take long to harvest I could do a second crop. When can I start the second crop and which of the veggies don't like the summer heat?

I am interested in doing more
sweet peas(little marvel)
sugar snap peas
broccoli ( early dividend hybrid)
brussel sprouts (catskill)

This is my first year with these veggies so I don't know which hate the heat and won't do well.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

All of those are cool season crops.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Corn, Okra, peppers, carrots, cherry tomatos, etc should do well in your area!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Thank you, I just started the carrots, corn and lima's.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

My season is winding down for two-three months as the sun will burn up everything except Okra and I only grow it for my DIL as I can't stand the slimy stuff. I plant my tomato seeds August 15 for final planting October 15. That is when I come back to life if you know what I mean!! LOL

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Paw,
I'm planting seeds June 15th for final planting July 31st. You think I'm too early for a fall crop here in Houston?

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

What is a final planting? Please forgive my ignorance..

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

TPlant,

Okra is great if you don't cook it too much. That's when it gets slimy -- it's overcooked. There is a Cajun restaurant here in town that has pickled okra on their salad bar. I get the salad bar just so I can load my plate with that pickled okra. I'm going to try pickling my own this year.

Karen

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

probably a fall planting is the final planting. I would guess.

We're growing everything right now. except cool weather crops. which we did't get to grow at all cause all the spinach and brocolli bolted as soon as it got big enough to. our weather has been so weird here.

I do grow brussel sprouts all summer long though, even though they say their a cool weather crop they seem to do well for me even in this tremendous heat, and I've also grown them all winter long.

They do have some lettuce that takes the summer heat.

I would give the brussels a shot Dott, it gets l00 here in the mid summer and mine are still growing strong, I have to watch them for cats though, I usually use Diatamacious earth on them if their real bad I put seven on them. keeping them watered well , they do fine for me.

brocolliwill surely bolt in the heat. My peas are showing signs of wear now that it's getting hot, their about done too for the year.

Hope you have fun veggie gardening this year. It's alot of work but worth it in the long run

we're growing something new this year, several different southern pea varieties, (cow peas) have no idea why their called that, we're growing lady finger peas, zipper cream peas, purple hull which we've grown before and red ripper peas. All summer peas that take the extreme heat and don't require much water. I suppose they call them southern cause they love the extreme heat, if you get hot enough there, which i'm sure you do, maybe they'll do well for you, I hear the zipper and lady finger peas are the best tasting.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Tomatoes in Houston are generally planted March 8-15th and the end of July or the beginning of August.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Kathy Ann, I have the brussel sprouts growing. It's great to know they can take the heat. Brussel sprouts are my favorite and now my brother knows I am growing them I expext they will disappear a little faster. Thanks for the tip on Diatamacious earth. I was wondering about the cats. I haven't had any problems in the gardens other than the groundhogs so far but after last yrs battle with cats I know it will happen again this yr.

My peas were planted in april and are just flowering the last 2 weeks. I was hoping someone would tell me I could do a fall crop of peas in sept.

I have an extra pack of broccoli that only take 45 days till harvest and was hoping they could also go out in sept.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Peas and broccoli make good fall crops.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

Kathy_Ann;
Here's a link that explains the origin of cow peas.
http://www.purplehull.com/PurpleHulls.htm

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

final planting (in this case) = plant out date...sorry.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

thanks for the link

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's my DG article on cowpeas hat ran last year.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/86/

It's hot here too. I'm reduced to watering, and cool season crops have bit the dust.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Was just at my veggie market. Was looking for some purple hulls or blackyeyes or white acre peas to shell. They only had them shelled. 6 bucks for less than a pound. Well, needless to say, the only thing I came home with was my feeling hurt because I didnt have any peas. No way was I paying that. I could eat them every day of my life. Love with with okra. I am one that will be growing it during the summer. I agree. no slime if not overcooked.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

And you can't make gumbo without okra! I mean, we're talking about LIFE here!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.