thoughts needed

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ok I have this area that really bugs me.... I understand it's function but can't it be pretty at the same time?... I know this is an old picture (before anything was planted) but the best shot I have right now for the spot i am talking about... I obviously avoided taking pictures of it because it rubs me..... the gravel behind the wall that leads to the drains.... what about building a raised bed of some kind to still allow the water to flow and hide the fact that it's there... I have tons of blue stone laying around... I keep thinking but not sure how to do it and still allow the water to pass though.... do you guys think if I build up blue stone in front of that area it would block the water flow?... then I thought if I leave gaps between the bottom rows it might work.... just wondering if you guys had any ideas

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

this is the newest up to date picture i have right now... if i have time today i will take some when i get home from work... it's a row higher behind this photo and steps down to this point

edit... the area between my posts on the grass... we were thinking of covering that up so the lawn is easier to mow .... rather then keep going between the two posts, rose of sharron (was 2, I just moved 1 the other day), 2 robin hood roses & my pinky winky hydrangea

This message was edited Jun 5, 2008 6:20 AM

Thumbnail by onewish1
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Where are the drains, Allison? In the first pic, it looks like the slope is from the dirt down to the gravel - toward the wall. In the new one it looks like the slope is away from the wall. I'm sure the grass takes care of most of the water now.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the drains are all the way across 3' down under the gravel... because of the huge hill behind my property... in winter when the ground is solid and grass is not active... it looks like niagra falls... when it hits that gravel

Thumbnail by onewish1

Okay. And how did you want to use the bluestone? Lay it over the gravel?

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Allison, I know exactly what you mean. We had to replace 1/2 of the entire foundation because of water from a hill. We also put in a drainage area and thank God it works. I live with the stones because they are needed. I am using the area for planter boxes, ground cover that (hopefully) will trail over the wall and statues and figures to dress the area.
Just some thoughts.
Chuck

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is it the gravel that's bothering you? I would just put some planters over it.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

not sure yet Victor..... have it and can use it.... still burning brain cells

I started buying things for a fairy garden.... figured somewhere up there would be a good spot... planters might work

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

How about trailing plants that spill over the wall? That would cover the gravel too.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think some planters on short legs might work... water can still flow but thank you everyone for your input

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ok I think we came up with a solution.... the handicapped kid who cuts my lawn came up with it... glad I mentioned it to him

put landscaping fabric over the rocks... carry it out a few feet.... fill the whole thing with mulch (going to do a lasagna bed behind the gravel for planting in the future)... use the blue stone for the edging with spaces between the bottom layers so the water can still get by and on top of the gravel area put all my containers since i have so many

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

good for your lawn boy! good for you!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

he is a keeper

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Can I borrow him?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

NO NOT TILL THE SHED IS FINISHED... then the fairy garden... then the water feature stuff that has been in the garage for 3 years, then cover up the gravel and make my new plating beds.... maybe then you can borrow him

LOL

*sigh*
Well, it was worth it to ask!
LOL!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sorry it might be a few years...

;)

Then he can be put on a Rental list.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

It exhausts me even thinking about what we have planned... our main shower is now falling apart... a bunch of the tiles came loose... we weren't planning on doing the bathroom yet... BUT since there is a touch of mold there we need to do something fast... in the meantime everything is sprayed with bleach... garden stuff is going to take a backseat till that's done

Oh, Allison! I am so sorry about the mold, but you are so right to be on top of it so quickly. It spreads terribly fast, and it's not at all healthy, as you know. Too bad your gardens will have to come in second for a while. But, you need to take care of the health of the gardener, right?

Allison I hear you. My shade area is on hold till ?????? So I am going to offer shade plants for the RU. I will take pics and put them on the long thread.

Bummer, Allison. House stuff always comes up.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

guess the kitchen is going to wait LONGER now

:)

amazing the time line we set for everything was here and gone & the kitchen seems to take the back seat for a lot of things... it still works but I hate it... sooo since it works... it stays for now

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.