Can anyone identify?

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

This is an Iris I got from my grandmother's yard years ago. I think it is a Louisiana Iris. Can anyone id it?

Thumbnail by bobyrd

I'm not much on LAs as we don't grow too many around here. Thought someone with some knowledge of these would have been here by now, but in the mean time - it does look a bit like Pam Truscott. Looks a bit like a few others too.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/120565/

Take a look though plant files search for LA's and see if you recognize it. This search was for all blue-lavender LAs. Try the different blues and purples in the search.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/advanced.php?nn%5B71%5D=11&nn%5B1%5D=0&nn%5B2%5D=0&nn%5B3%5D=0&nn%5B4%5D=0&nn%5B5%5D=0&nn%5B6%5D=20&nn%5B112%5D=0&nn%5B8%5D=0&nn%5B9%5D=0&nn%5B23%5D=0&nn%5B10%5D=0&nn%5B12%5D=0&nn%5B113%5D=0&sname=Iris&Search.x=19&Search.y=13

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/advanced.php?sname=Iris

Lebanon, OR

Might be this Siberian
'
Rikagi Sakura

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Not a siberian. It looks to me like iris brevicaulis, a form of Louisiana iris. Do the flowers sit below the height of the leaves on short, zig zag stems? Flowers short, about 12 inches?

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

There is about a 14-16 inch stem that a leaf comes off on one side about 12 inches up and on the other side a few inches up are the flower and another leaf right above it.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That sounds right for iris brevicaulis, If we could get Tazzy over here I bet she could verify it. Oh Tazzy......

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

It doesn't look like my brevicaulis.

Lebanon, OR

You are correct Polly does not look like it at all once I really look at it, just one siberian that is really strange

Have never seen the species you mention

Sorry bobyrd for the misinformation

d

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

the low Bloom in foliage and zigzag stalks fits brevicaulis
my picture of it from iris club member here
got ditched when my computer crashed during ice storm .
i called her to go take another picture but it bloomed out last week .
So i cant be sure, the foliage is right but flower i cant say for sure.
Plus very old species Louisiana's had same kind of stalk
like the one they named Finder Keepers . it had narrow falls and standards and zig zag stalks etc,
so it could be one some one brought out of La swaps .
.it also could be species Spuria .
need picture of all of plant and close up on leaf
The first two need a lot of water to survive that many years in TX. a Spuria is very drought tolerant in the older varieties

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

It didn't and doesn't get a lot of water so the Spuria sounds more likely.
Bonnie

Found a brevicaulis pic fron last year.

Thumbnail by boojum
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I still think it's brevicaulis. They are quite variable, Boojum. I have 3, one is the color of yours, one is white and one purple. I'll see if I can't find a pic.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's some pictures of iris brevicaulis.

http://www.zydecoirises.com/Species/Brevicaulis/Brevicaulis.htm

I think the one on the right looks like the one in question. What Tazzy said about being an early Louisiana hybrid is a possibility too. Brevicaulis grows well in a dry area in my yard. The part of Texas bobyrd lives in is over towards Louisiana, and I would think brevicaulis would grow well there.

But as Tazzy said a shot of the leaves and full plant shot will help.

Polly, I bow to your advanced knowledge!! I had no idea they came in all those colors!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, I'm not for sure, either. A shot of the leaves and full plant always help. It sure looks like one of mine, though.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

The flowers are all spent and the stalks are sort of laying on the ground now but I will try to take a picture of what's there and maybe that will help. We had 2 1/2 inches of rain so it's a little wet out there. I appreciate all the help.
Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.