HOW do I apply fertilizer?

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I bought some organic fertilizer for acid-loving plants (Espoma Holly-tone: 4-6-4), but am a little unsure how or where to apply it. My hydrangeas are both new, a Preziosa and a Pinky Winky, and I have a Limelight on the way. I remember reading something about putting fertilizer around the "drip-line" but am not sure what that means. I'm guessing that means as far out as the branches reach? Does that make sense?

For shrubs, it says 1 cupful per foot of branch spread. Do I water it in? We've had so much rain lately, I probably won't need to. When the Limelight arrives, I will put some in the planting hole.

Since it is organic, does that lessen the chance of over-fertilization? My Pinky Winky has doubled in size since I planted it, right after the Iowa RU, but the Preziosa, planted only about a week later, hasn't grown much.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Angie

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Angie, I'll wait for the folks with more experience to chime in, but I would definitely water after fertilizing. And I could be wrong, but I believe you can overfertilize, even with organics! I heard hydrangeas are not heavy feeders.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

While it is much less likely to happen it is possible to over fertilize with organic fertilizer, but you would have to really, really work at it. Plants dont know the difference between organic and inorganic. They just absorb nutrients as they become water soluble. Organic fertilizer becomes available to the plant very slowly. Inorganic, unless the slow release type, becomes available much more quickly. Organic fertilizer improves the tilth of the soil as the organic content breaks down. Inorganic does not improve soil structure. The precise formulation of nutrients available in the organic form is not as well known, but is precisely known in the inorganic. So if you are working to correct a specific soil deficiency inorganic is the way to go. There, does that confuse you thoroughly? (I might also add that gypsum can improve the structure of clay soil and it does contain trace amounts of calcium and sulfur, but not enough to rely on in a fertilization porogram.)

Anywho, what is the goal with the fertilizer program? A quick boost, a soil correction, a slow feed with precisely known elements, or a slow feed while improving soil structure? Answer those questions and then buy your fertilizer. Hydrangeas are not heavy feeders. They benefit from a higher middle number (phosphorus) and they aren't comfortable in alkaline soil. Always water in. Work it lightly into the top inch or so of soil if you can. Fertilize over the entire root zone in an equal distribution.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2008 6:25 PM

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

GREAT information snapple, the only thing I might ad is organic fertilizer really depends on the functions of a warmer soil so when you read recommendations for applying fertilizer at the end of winter/very beginning of spring you won't want to be throwing organic fertilizer down. kt

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, all! I think "a slow feed while improving soil structure" describes my goal pretty well. I haven't had a soil test, so no specific issues to correct. I'm fairly lucky in that my soil is pretty decent, rich & well-draining, and most everything I plant (and lots of things I don't!) thrive. I had just read that hydrangeas really prefer acid soil, so thought I might need to give them a small boost in that direction. Neither of mine are ones that change colors based on the acidity, so no precise goals there, either.

Thanks for the help. I can't wait for those first blooms! The Pinky Winky has more than doubled in size since I planted it, so have some hope that I might get a bloom or two this year. Not so sure about the Preziosa, as it looks happy enough, but isn't growing much.

Angie

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I've got a first year Pinky Winky going here too. It's showing buds. There are a couple of combined hydrangea threads going about Endless Summer and Pinky Winky. Be sure to find one and post your experience so that we all can compare and learn. I've not tried the Preziosa, but I am trying a serrata Blue Deckle. That is growing well but not a single bud developing. I think the Preziosa is a hybrid between the macrophylla and the serrata.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Bookerc1 - I've always used the Holly-Tone with good success. I push the mulch away and just grab a handful and sprinkle around the root zone, scratch it in and then replace the mulch and water in. On the Endless Summer, my blooms are always pink to lavender color. It was recommended to me by a landscaper to fertilize in both spring and fall. I've done that and all my shrubs have they've been fine doing that. But, from what I'm reading no one recommends fertilizing in fall, which makes sense so I will stop doing that. I always use the Epsoma organic products now because I've burned some of my boxwoods using inorganic 10-10-10, but, that was my fault because I was being lazy. I could kick myself for that.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

I'm an old gardener in central Alabama who grew up in southern Indiana, so my sprecific advice is of little value, but I offer one: patience, patience, patience. Where fertilizer is concerned, less is better. Dirr says 4 ounces of 10-10-10 around the plant in early spring (whenever that occurs in your region) is sufficient. They are beautiful plants, and I wish you success. I have many.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I am constantly battling chlorosis with mine....would it hurt to apply ironite a little more often? (old gardener advice more than appreciated!) : )

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

They do like acidic soil - ironite is one way of providing it. I apply it to the ones I have in large containers. I just follow the the directions - I try not to make it complicated. I also use ironite around our gardenias. They seem to like it. I'm fortunate to live in central Alabama where pine straw and pine bark are readily available. I use those things in raised beds. I just try to watch how the plants respnd to my magical treatments. You know that if we treat them with respect, they will do their best. I wish you well. By the way, rob, you live in perhaps the most beautiful city/area in our country. When we were living in the Vandenberg/Lompoc area, it was our favorite place to visit. Have a great gardening day.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks! : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.