Can I transplant a clematis now?

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I have had a clematis growing up my mailbox for years. I'd like to move it to a spot in my backyard where it can climb up a new arbor I have. Is it ok to move it now? And are there any special considerations I should take?

Thanks for your help!

Delaware, OH

more detail on type would be helpful. basically you can transplant anytime if all variables are going to be favorable to the plant making the transition.
earlier in the spring might have better set the plant up for success.
can you hard prune it now, see how it responds then move it in the fall would be better. you may be sacrificing blooms this season, and even next depending on what type it is, but you will long term have more blooms from doing this.
if you do move it now, ,make sure to prune it first, dig a generous hole and then backfill with that soil mixed with amendments such as composted organics, bone meal, perlite etc , fertilize it , water copiously all summer. if the new aspect has more sun than the current one transition it with some sun protection in the early weeks too. ( cheesecloth on stakes, an umbrella during the sunniest hours or etc)
good luck.
i am sure others would have some good advice too!

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the advice. I think it blooms on new wood, but I could be totally wrong. I got it years ago when I knew little to nothing about gardening. Even still, I know nothing about clematis specifically. So it has been completely neglected for about 10 years. This year it seems to have really taken off (maybe because we cut a few trees down last spring and it gets more sun) and it even has several buds. In past years, I'd be lucky to get 2 flowers.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Niobe gave you good advice.

I transplanted my 4 year old Multi Blue last June. It did not make it. I think part of it was my fault as I watered it faithfully for the first 2 weeks and then became busy. We had a drought last summer and it was too much for it. I would wait unless you can remember to care for it. Linda

Delaware, OH

good point. last summer in general i really tried to keep up late summer watering on all my clematis than than assume the rain had been enough of the scattering water form watering the lawn had been enough. i believe it did amazing things for this springs growth too, rather than let the late summer be a period where i backed off.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Moveing it now is asking for trouble. Fall transplanting has a much better chance of survival while forming some new roots when the soil and general weather conditions are better. If it really makes no difference I say wait until fall.

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

In my zone 4-5, (now I'm suppose to be zone 5-6). I transplanted two clematis two summers ago. They were both around 10 year old clematis (President, Ville de Lyon). They did not bloom last summer, but have alot of blooms already this year. If we could get some consistant warm weather, they would have bloomed by now.

I dug mine up in the summer and transplanted. Make sure you water them often after transplanting.

I agree with Niobe's advice.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I would never attempt to transplant clematis during the heat of the summer..but I am not familar with your cooler zone..Early Spring and Fall are the best..for me Fall is superior to Spring as far as that goes for planting or transplanting..keeping them moist is of the utmost importance...Jeanne

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

I agree with Jeanne about how hot your area is. If you are going to plant it in direct sun, you might want to wait for cooler weather.

I was desperate to move mine that is why I transplanted in the summer. It worked for me though. I also used alot of mulch to keep soil moist.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.